My new Salvini cichlid

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

Hopefully this works. Got a decent picture of the new salvini. It finally came out of hiding haha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

I see 2 things here....from what I can see, appears to be male (I see red spots on flanks, dead give away for male), but those spots makes me think hybrid....Sals have 2 black irregular bars, & an eye spot near caudal peduncle, but not spots on the flank & in dorsal. They have been known to hybridize.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

You think it's hybrid, Jack? I personally don't know to much about sals and I know there are tons of cichlids experts here. He has more coloration today with a black bar going all the way down his side, also with the black spot behind his eyes that is starting to show. I'll see if I can get a better pic today

• Thank you received: 6

Brian513 replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

Looks like a female to me, going by spot on dorsal fin. Females also have a spot on their cheek(gill plate), my sal has it on her left side. Also watch out for their nasty teeth when it gets older. They are beautiful fish, especially the females.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

BlueMoonJay wrote: You think it's hybrid, Jack? I personally don't know to much about sals and I know there are tons of cichlids experts here. He has more coloration today with a black bar going all the way down his side, also with the black spot behind his eyes that is starting to show. I'll see if I can get a better pic today

It could be, these guys are like Convicts & Festae & will freely interbreed w/ other species.....that spot makes me think so, but it could be excitement making that stand out......but I've never seen Sals w/ spots like that, & I went so far to look @ images online, & after hundreds of pics, I still don't see a mid flank or dorsal spot like that....irregular black bars, absolutely, but not singular spots.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 6

Brian513 replied the topic: My new Salvini cichlid

Came across some older pix of my Sals, I had 3, only one survived. Not sure if this is one pictured above, but thought I'd post it. I do notice more color and horizontal line which is not shown on yours at time of picture.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds