Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom created the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

I've rehomed my Vieja Agentea, he/she was a great little fish but I think I really do prefer predatory cichlids. Ordered 9 baby Jaguars, the smallest is 1.5 inches the largest just under 2 from Cichlaholics. Pretty impressed, all 9 were in great shape upon arrival. They are in my 90g for now while I grow them out a couple more inches until I'm able to pick out a dominant male to keep as the solo occupant along with my raphael. They do fight a lot, especially during feeding time. One of the biggest seems to have his way with everything, wins every fight (this is happening less and less, the others just back off now) and will clear out any cave he enters. I think this might be a male, he's pretty sleek and slender looking. Since these fish are all shorter than my little finger this is just a wild guess lol.

I've had these little guys for a week. Right now I'm doing daily wc's of 40% and this really seems to bring out their aggression temporarily for some reason. Feeding 3-4 times a day with sinking hikari cichlid gold pellets and they are absolute pigs. For now I've heavily decorated the tank to provide hiding spots.

I will be upgrading tank size eventually(at least a 125), I know better than to try to keep a cichlid with their size potential in a 90g long term :)

I've still got my temp set at 81 degrees and I'm guessing this might be a bit too warm and isn't helping aggression, or is this fine?
Any tips for optimizing the growth on these guys?

Something very odd I wasn't expecting, since I have such a large group, sometimes they will stop their constant bickering and will form a peaceful school, all 9 of them and swim slowly around the tank together.

I'll make a short video of my tank tommorow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

Very cool.. welcome to the Jag club. Very hard to sex at that size. If it possible, Darth prob could nail it. But if you got 1 pushing the others around, good chance thats yer boy. Temp is fine, Jags will be Jags. Quite a few owners, me included have picky eaters, but having them on pellets right off is a good thing. When you single out your keeper, keep him on pellets for at least another month, then try the occasional treat, eartrhworm, krill, bloodworm. My guy is hanging around 12ins and loves Massivore. Get some of that when he hits about a year old. Marinate the pellets once a week in Boyd's Vitachem and sprinkle with some spirulina powder. They are carnivorous killers, but some veg substance is good for them. Try a spirulina based pellet couple times a week.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Phantom replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

I think watching the others eat 'motivated' the picky ones to eat while they had the chance :laugh:

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

Yup, like SuprD said, this sounds like a male.....the biggest meanest ones are 90% of the time......shoot a video & I can give you a fair guess.

My Jags in a 75 by himself for now, but I just picked up a 125, & he may be going in there.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

Would love to see some pics and or a vid of your tank... I love my jag .. nearly as much as my dovii .. lol... Great fish

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Here's a video. They are still pretty shy around me and the decoration hides a lot of them from view. The one that is the biggest and meanest lurks in his skull cave but didn't show too much aggression in this video although he briefly makes an appearance when those 2 started to flare at each other in front of his cave. He does chase off anybody that approached his cave in the back but its hard to see in this video.

I'll make another video feeding them later on. They are a lot less shy then and way more aggressive.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Ok I'm noticing the big dominant one is extremely violent during feeding. He'll spend half the time chasing everybody away and will just stuff his mouth full of pellets until he can't even close his mouth so nobody else can get any, and then will just ram the others since he can't bite lol. They still manage to sneak in enough be properly fed. This guy eats probably 4x as much as anybody else.

I'm still hoping he's a male because I think I'll need to rehome half of the weaker ones sooner than I thought. Him and the other 3 tougher ones are starting to take their toll. What are the chances this is a large aggressive female out of a batch of 9? lol

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

LOL.. I would almost guarantee.. 99%, that the pig/bully is male and his aim is to take over and take out the rest . May not be too long before this happens. I would single him out and grow a big beautiful, tough as nails Jag. You wont be disappointed, they are a wonderful cichlid.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well tommorow I'll be donating the remaining 4 weaker jags to my lfs. One of the smaller ones got killed and eaten, since I can't find it anywhere. I'll be keeping the larger one as well as 3 others that have claimed smaller territories and are beating the others senseless. That'll leave me 4 juveniles to grow out for a few months so I can make 100% which is male.

With the amount of wc's and food I've given these guys so far I've think they've put on 1/2 inch, in less than 2 weeks(the dominant ones, the runts are still runts lol).

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Squadron of Jags: need some tips.

Nice Video, I like the one in the middle of the pack at the 0:37 mark.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds