Male or Female Jag?

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom created the topic: Male or Female Jag?

So here is the Jag I decided to keep. Was the second largest of the original batch that I got 3 and a half weeks ago. He/she had a lot of spots below the lateral stripe and more seem to be coming in the larger he/she gets. I hope the blue shows up in the video, the green algae on the glass sure does lol.

Not as large as the one I originally thought was a male. The bigger it got the stripe got darker and all spots were fading away on the bottom half of the body. I think it was just a dominant female with a pig appetite. This Jag was the second largest but probably the most picky with pellets. He/she eats enough to get by but won't gorge.

Despite a lower appetite this Jag has still grown from less than 2 inches to an easy 3 inches, probably a bit more. That ornament in the background with the tiny hole in the front, he/she used to fit in there lol.

My Jag is still scared witless of me and will just glare at me from his/her cave if I'm moving around in front of the tank. What size do Jags start becoming bolder?

What your opinion on gender?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Can you take a longer video, if possible closer up? I know you stated it's scared of you, but I need to see if spots are forming on the dorsal area......

What size tank is this? You could possibly try some larger Giant Danios as dither fish.

I'm leaning towards male, as my Jag looked like this when he was smaller, but don't want to commit just yet....may have to wait another month or two.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Phantom replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

It's a 90 gallon with a striped raphael as tank mate. I'll try to get a bit closer and shoot a longer video.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Ok, this is the best I can do at the moment. Here he is after a wc attacking his reflection. He comes pretty close to the camera at around 30 secs.

• Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

very awesome looking jag u have there bro :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I'm leaning towards male, but am not 100% positive.....got your PM, I would state to be safe you would have to wait a few months....the one I have now looked a LOT like this when that size, & the spots didn't come in until very recently..... B)

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Trying to see some purple trim on the dorsal, that is also a good, not guaranteed, but good male indicator. Damn nice fish either way.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I do see blue when he (hoping) turns his body but its pretty light and subtle and this color didn't really become noticable until very recently. Not a true purple yet that I can see.

I have another question: If its a male when do the dorsal and anal fins become pointed? I know thats another indicator. He does seem to have longer fins than most of his tankmates did and his anal fin is slightly pointed but not his dorsal yet.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Darth Sidious' (my Jag) dorsal & anal fins didn't start pointing until very recently....he's about 5" now, I would say around the 4" mark.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

My jag's dorsal and anal fin are still kind of rounded, and he's around 11-12". My female festae has much more pointed and relatively longer dorsal and anal fins than my jag. : :lol:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds