Male or Female Jag?

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Well it looks like my Jag is finally starting to become less shy. If I walk slowly up to the tank he doesn't bolt for cover anymore and when I wiggle my fingers in front of the glass he cautiously approuches to investigate.

As for being picky with the pellets I think I was trying to feed him too much too often. I'm used to oscars that will stuff themselves silly at any opportunity. Starved him for 1 day and now feed him sparingly so that he never has a full belly and it seems to work. Can tell he would prefer to eat flesh rather than pellets though lol. I believe when I had the entire group of jags they had more motivation to eat what they could when they could because of competition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hey guys, I have another question: Are male jaguars the only ones that show the blueish purple on the fins? The blue on the dorsal, anal, caudal and even the pelvic fins is unmistakeable now.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Jags don't get long dorsal "trailers" like N. Beani, etc., but male do get more of a point to them than females......look @ my vids @ you can see what I'm talking about. B)

I've never seen a female w/ the blue/purple on the fins........take another video?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Phantom wrote: Well it looks like my Jag is finally starting to become less shy. If I walk slowly up to the tank he doesn't bolt for cover anymore and when I wiggle my fingers in front of the glass he cautiously approuches to investigate.

As for being picky with the pellets I think I was trying to feed him too much too often. I'm used to oscars that will stuff themselves silly at any opportunity. Starved him for 1 day and now feed him sparingly so that he never has a full belly and it seems to work. Can tell he would prefer to eat flesh rather than pellets though lol. I believe when I had the entire group of jags they had more motivation to eat what they could when they could because of competition.

When I got my Jag, he was in poor condition, from bad tank and crappy diet. He went 8 days without eating. First thing he accepted was Tetra carnivore sticks. Took several weeks to get him on Hikari. Still a bit of a picky guy, wont eat Omega1, but will eat shrimp, tilapia, krill, tubifex worms and his favorite is Massivore. Wont even approach a live earthworm. Also, I think if you are seeing some blue/purple trim you guaranteed have a male. Like Oscars, or any large cichlid for that matter, they absolutely thrive with super clean water. Mine, alone in a 125 gets 75% w/c every 3 days on average and is doing fantastic.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well I spoke too soon in regards to him eating hikari lol. Sometimes he eats them, sometimes not. I switched back to what I first fed the entire group when I first got them. O.S.I. Red Tiny Bits and he'll go into a frenzy. High protein and has a lot of meatier ingredients that he probably likes compared to Hikari. Its a cheapo brand though so I'm ordering some Omega1 to try. Still growing strong, I think he grew over an inch the first month, looking forward to see how much he'll grow this month.

Darth I'll hold off on the video for now, he doesn't look that much different than 6 days ago lol. Its just that now he'll swim right up to the glass next to my eyeball and the purple is very easy to see. He still doesn't really like it if I'm standing looking down into the tank though but he's slowly beginning to trust me :) I'll definately post another vid at the 2 month mark.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well the Omega1 arrived and I put in about 8 floating pellets for him to try. He swam up to them, looked at them. then swam off bored. I thought, "Really? You don't like these either??". Left the room for a few minutes and when I came back every single one was gone and my Jag was swimming around with a full looking belly :) I guess he just needed to taste them. Omega1 has some pretty good ingredients and they even smell "fishy" compared to Hikari. Here's hoping he sticks with them and doesn't return to his finicky habits. The fact that he ate until he actually had a full looking belly is a good sign though. He's never done that before with pellets.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

lol so much me being sure mine's a male. Mine does have a lot more intense spotting below the lateral line than eddie's female though and they are multiplying. Fins are longer and seem to slowly becoming pointed. Top bands seem to be breaking apart a bit as well as the stripe. So hopefully...

Got a bit of a scare the day after I fed him the Omega1 pellets. He refused them, until I took a bunch and softened them in some tank water first then he ate as many as he could. Guess he prefers his food squishy. A bit finicky compared to oscars lol.

Looked at Eddie's thread and so far I think mine is starting to look more like the male than the female, especially in fin length and spot intensity. Doesn't have that characteristic powerful face yet, though I think my little Jag is a lot younger than the ones in the pics.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

That's a Honduran Jag phenotype......the females of this type have a great deal more blue than regular Jag females(thanks to Rock for reminding me!!) I believe yours to be the classic or common Jaguar cichlid, & I say your fish is male. You won't be sure until the pattern along the dorsal ridge breaks up into the "classic" spots seen on male Jags. I've had my male for 13 months, & his pattern didn't start really emerging until very recently.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hey everybody. I have not posted in a while because of some pressing life issues these last couple months but I'm still fishkeeping and I still have my Jag. Unfortunately I had to rehome my striped raphael today because my Jag was just becoming relentless in attacking him and the damage was beginning to show, even on an armored catfish like the raphael. Even wedging himself into a deep cave out of the way and out of sight the Jag would hunt him down and make his life hell. Was just getting worse the bigger the Jag gets. Still not sure if its male or female. I'm guessing male the way he looks now. Hopefully Rock or Darth can tell me for sure. He's 5 inches now, not Oscar growth but steadily getting there and yes he does have more blue on him than before and looks very pretty in person and I don't know if its my crappy t8 lighting but the video failed miserably to catch any lol. Here's the update:

You guys may notice a couple split fins. This is happened when he panicked a bit when I was rearranging the tank today during maintenence.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds