Male or Female Jag?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

I'm going with male.

What size tank is that?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

male

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Darth Nandopsis wrote: I'm going with male.

What size tank is that?

This is a 90 gallon tank.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

He looks great. Jags grow at a decent clip, wont be long before you may have to remove some of that deco. Tank looks real nice, but big boy needs big room! A 6 footer will be in order as he passes the foot long mark.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Not sure if his growth rate is good or not. At first it seemed like he almost doubled his size within the first month but he was tiny back then and even a little bit of growth seems huge when the fish is less than 2". So far it looks like he's averaging 2/3-3/4 of an inch per month, not sure if this is good for a juvenile male Jag or not. He's a bit of a princess when it comes to pellets; they have to be soaked for exactly 5 minutes or he won't even bother with them lol. Never liked them much, never will, but he will eat them. Anything else and he'll nearly take my fingers off. I will be getting a larger tank once he's 10-11 inches and I'm 100% sure by then my fish is male. Still doing regular daily wc's of 40%. This may be overkill for one 5 inch fish but its a routine I got used to when i had my Oscar.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Well hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a bad habit of mine and I hope nobody here flames me for having mfs instead of mts but my lfs recently switched suppliers and for the first time in 2 years they finally have high quality oscars again, not the deformed buggers that they were getting before. They had a small group of great looking 1.25 inchers and I took the 2 best looking ones home and put them in my quarantine tank. A tiny tiger and red. Growing them out for a bit and will keep the one I like the most. Or maybe both since I'll be getting a 125g either way. Less stress with 1 cichlid though. I have already talked to the lfs manager and he's more than willing to take back the one I don't want and give me a bit of cash in the process. The little guys already eat like pigs and follow my finger around. They might have the start of ich on their fins because of stress from transport or the lfs itself so I'm treating for it just to be safe.

If I had room for 2 tanks I'd probably keep the Jag but I'm switching back to oscars while I have the chance. He's a great looking fish and while he does have some nice moments of interactivity it doesn't seem anything like an oscar's and he spends a lot of time "lurking" as well as being a fussy eater. I do have a few options I'll be looking into during the next couple of weeks while the O's are in quarantine in regards to rehoming my Jag. Worst case scenerio my lfs will take him in. Luckily I'm friends with the manager and although he'd prefer not to take in the Jag (scared it will kill anything in there with him) he will put him in a seperate tank by himself if I have no other option. He's seen my fish before and knows they are well taken care of and he'll be able to make money off of anything I return, so he won't just take it in and dispose of it, especially since I'm there so often and would be pretty pissed if I found out.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Oh no! Ditching the Jag??? For shame... jk Phantom, the hobby is all about personal preferences. Not much out there that can compete with an Oscar for personality and interaction. My Jag, sitting around a foot long, does lurk in his cave a lot, but greets me eagerly at the glass when its chow time. He was a very picky eater when smaller, has more variety now. Pretty cool watching him pound back whole jumbo shrimp. Hopefully your 2 O's get along, if not I would keep the red.A few members here have outstanding red O's, just beautiful. Good luck to ya!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Yeah my Jag's lateral stripe is starting to break up and he's getting his male pattern full force. He definately has the looks, mean and pretty and he does beg when he's hungry. Pretty hard decision. Still not set in stone though, I'll need to rid my baby O's of that slight case of ich before I can say I've made the switch back to oscars. Pretty easy to cure though and it doesn't seem to bother them yet.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

This is just me....NO WAY I would give up Darth Sidious for an Oscar (& I have both). My Jag will swim from one side of his 125GL to the other following me, & greets me the same as any Oscar.

I love all my fish, but my Jag rules the roost!! :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Now I feel I might have posted prematurely lol. I'm started to re-think this. Those baby O's look really good and already nearly jump out of the water at me, it took weeks for my Jag to even approach me but now he looks awesome and not much doubt anymore that its a male. Has his moments of interactivity and seems to be getting more bold the bigger he gets. Seems to be getting an impressive growth spurt now that I've switched him to frequent tilapia chunks along with his pellets. Or it could be because of the huge size difference when I walk from the O tank to the Jag tank; makes him look huge lol. 125g is an easy upgrade. If he outgrows that I'll run into problems with my floor. Hmm what to do...
Oh well, the oscars need to stay in quarantine for the next 2 weeks anyways, should be plenty of time to figure out what I'm going to do.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds