Male or Female Jag?

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Well it looks like I'll be hanging on to my Jag after all. Those "perfect" looking baby oscars were far from healthy. Easily cured them of ich only to lose them to what I'm thinking was some kind of bacterial infection. Oh well at least they were quarantined. Checked in at my lfs and the rest of the baby O's were dying off as well so it wasn't something I did wrong at my end.

My Jag is doing pretty good too. Coming up on 6 inches pretty quick and is getting a lot more interactive. Starting to move the sand around for the first time and seems to be trying to push one of the largest plants over. Puberty? lol. Gut loading mealworms with veggie flakes as a new additional food source on top of what I already give him, relishes those.

Probably best I hang on to this bad boy. I doubt any lfs can match Cichlaholic (where I got my Jag) quality anyways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

I would most definitely hang on to him....Oscars are great fish, love my Red Darth Maul...but Darth Sidious is the man, & when I had Butch (who was damn near full grown @ around 16") he was a true show fish....a full grown male Jag is a magnificent fish....they don't really look their best until they get near the 6" mark, when that classic Jaguar patter emerges. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Good news Phantom.. my guy sits around a foot long, is a spectacular fish. Male Jags are WAY cool and do not disappoint.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

This Jag is definately keeping me on my toes. Sometimes he acts distinctly displeased at the sight of me and would 'lurk' in front of his cave. Last couple days he's been acting like I'm his best bud and following me around the tank like an oscar. I never know what his mood is going to be like lol. I have a feeling that this is more territorial than friendly though. Can't wait till he starts flaring at me :laugh:

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hi again guys. Do Jaguar cichlids mouths always look like they are partly open all the time? My Jag does not seem to breath heavy and can clamp his jaws totally shut when chowing down but his natural "relaxed" jaw position seems like his mouth is partly open all the time. This isn't something new that has cropped up; he's always looked like that, as seen in my videos. Wondering if this is normal or not.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

Thats how my guy looks, jaw just slightly open. I notice he clamps tight also when he takes a power swim and does a few laps around his tank. All business these guys!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Male or Female Jag?

I just posted an update pf my Beani, along w/ the rest of the gang...Darth Sidious like to show his choppers off, for sure. :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I'll have to watch it...the rest of your vids are set to private lol. Good to know that's normal, was worried he dislocated his jaw or something(but then he probably wouldn't be able to eat).

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds