jd and salvini

• MetalHead88
  • MetalHead88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 created the topic: jd and salvini

well, with an unfortunate and unplanned turned of events, i now have my 8'' male jack dempsey with my with a 4 inch salvini in a 150.despite the size advantage, i feel that things should work out as far as comparability goes, ive never kept these 2 types of fish together, so im wondering if anyone else has?? thats pretty much my question. in the tank there is also 3 rapheal catfish and silver dollars. i understand that i may now be overstocked as well so ill be monitoring water very closely. my water parameters have always been excellent on this tank so im not too worried.

so far so good with the jd and salvini. they pay no attention to the raphs or silver dollars. each have taken a cave on each side of the tank and the jd has made himself at home swimming around the whole tank when hes not chilling in his cave. they havent fought yet at all that ive seen when they cross paths.

now for some back story..... i had 4 jack dempseys (1 male and 3 that i suspected were female) in a tank which i planned on keeping a pair. these fish were especially special to me as they were the 4 that i kept from of an extremely successful group of fry of around 150 babies. a few days ago i noticed the tank was leaking water pretty badly from the bottom. i immediately started taking water and the fish out and bagged up the male because i knew id have to find a way to keep him. hes developed some beautiful colors like his dad. the other 3 i realized that i didnt have room for and called a local fish store who said they would take them. it was pretty heart breaking letting them go.

as far as the tank goes - its just the seal. i dont think im going to fix it because i did plan on eventually selling all but 1 of my tanks because a move is inevitable and im unsure if ill be able to take them with me. but taking down this tank was much sooner then i expected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: jd and salvini

I don't think you're overstocked at all. Unless you have a ton of silver dollars. I'm sure the salvini will hold its own with the Jack Dempsey. That's a pretty big tank you have them in. If it were a 55 your prolly have some fights but I don't think you'll have problems in a 150.

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: jd and salvini

ight thanks. no problems so far. so far he hasnt had to hold his own. the jd hasnt felt brave enough to test the salvini.... yet haha.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: jd and salvini

I would not worry about the Salvini, from my experience with them he will never challenge the JD. You may notice the fins on the JD suffering some mysterious damage though. Salvini are like ninjas and will take advantage of any opportunity to get a nip in.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: jd and salvini

robham7770 wrote: I would not worry about the Salvini, from my experience with them he will never challenge the JD. You may notice the fins on the JD suffering some mysterious damage though. Salvini are like ninjas and will take advantage of any opportunity to get a nip in.

Ugh... I wish I could keep one

• MetalHead88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

MetalHead88 replied the topic: jd and salvini

robham7770 wrote: I would not worry about the Salvini, from my experience with them he will never challenge the JD. You may notice the fins on the JD suffering some mysterious damage though. Salvini are like ninjas and will take advantage of any opportunity to get a nip in.

i know what your talking about with the ninja attacks. i have seen him go after the silver dollars just like that a few times.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds