Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

Got these two last week, can anyone positively identify them from these pictures?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

not Festae, eye spot on tail is too big.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

Thats what I thought, after looking into it a bit. I think they are uropthalmus or hybrid. I actually keep thinking convict hybrid when I look at them.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

Could be full Urop...I don't think they are hybrids....compare striping & eye spot between your pics, Rob, & one I posted.....but I don't see enough red coloration (especially 2nd one), maybe because they're babies.....give it time, & maybe shoot me a video....better for ID.

What were they sold as? Any description @ all in that tank they wre in? Did/does seller have any background info? Sometimes, depending on who their wholesaler/breeder is, you will see a listing of "mixed cichlids, 1-2"" on the order sheet......perhaps this?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

Yeah, mayans don't have much red color at that size.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Could be full Urop...I don't think they are hybrids....compare striping & eye spot between your pics, Rob, & one I posted.....but I don't see enough red coloration (especially 2nd one), maybe because they're babies.....give it time, & maybe shoot me a video....better for ID.

What were they sold as? Any description @ all in that tank they wre in? Did/does seller have any background info? Sometimes, depending on who their wholesaler/breeder is, you will see a listing of "mixed cichlids, 1-2"" on the order sheet......perhaps this?

They were sold as festae, but the clerk told me that they have never had them in her tenure, so if mislabeled I doubt they would know . The store I deal with is very ethical, as a matter of fact, I just got a hand written letter from the owner thanking me for being one of their best customers last year(got 6 4' tanks, a number of Aquaclear filters, heaters, fish, decor, and food from them). Not to mention some of the fish I got from them, I just gave back, which I am sure helps their margin. I will post a video of them now in a bit, since juvies are always so hard to photograph.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Festae, Mayan, or hybrid?

robham7770 wrote:

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Could be full Urop...I don't think they are hybrids....compare striping & eye spot between your pics, Rob, & one I posted.....but I don't see enough red coloration (especially 2nd one), maybe because they're babies.....give it time, & maybe shoot me a video....better for ID.

They were sold as festae, but the clerk told me that they have never had them in her tenure, so if mislabeled I doubt they would know . The store I deal with is very ethical, as a matter of fact, I just got a hand written letter from the owner thanking me for being one of their best customers last year(got 6 4' tanks, a number of Aquaclear filters, heaters, fish, decor, and food from them). Not to mention so.me of the fish I got from them, I just gave back, which I am sure helps their margin. I will post a video of them now in a bit, since juvies are always so hard to photograph.

Not implying anything Rob, just remembering when I ordered fish what you would come across. A good LFS is hard to find, bud. I go to my guy @ The Fish Factory & support them as much as possible. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds