Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

• Gaarakilla19
  • Gaarakilla19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 created the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

I want to get a Red Devil in the future but iv saw midas too , i would like to see 2 pictures of the two and the differences and full bread ones plz no hybrids :o and any great interesting info on RD's?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

You have to order a midas or red devil from a reputable breeder or importer. Any fish that does not come from an importer or cannot be traced back through a reputable breeder is a hybrid of a Midas and Red Devil, basically what is called a Midevil. Pictures don't help in determine what the breed actually is.

If you don't have the funds to get one from a reputable breeder/importer, than just stick with the LFS Midevils.

Midevils have the same care requirements as an Oscar, and are more tolerable of higher PH and hardness levels.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

Unless you are going to spend the cash to order one through a reputable source such as Jeff Rapps (tangledupincichlids) your not going to get a pure RD or Midas what you will most likely get is what we call a midevil, a RD midas cross

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

red devils are awesome fish. they are super aggressive and a ton of personality.

keep it by itself because the red devil will make it his tank, it will dig and arrange the tank how he wants it.

midas and red devil are really similar all around. they are nearly impossible to tell the difference by looks (i cant) and have similar aggression and so on.

id have no problem in going to my lfs (that is pretty reputable btw) and take their word for it that it is a red devil. (or midevil....still an awesome fish)

remember - these fish get big. big fish = big tank.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

pure red devils and pure midas are easy to tell apart.

Red devil = bullet shaped (lower body profile), v shaped mouth from above.

Midas = higher body profile (like an Oscar)

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

there ya go.

but yeah, red devils are awesome.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

hmmm thanks for all the good input guys

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

So if RD's and Midas are almost exactly identical physically and mentally wise, why is it worth it to get a pure breed? Is it just for the actual fact of having a pure bred? I know how some people feel to hybrids.. are the hybrids unable to breed like blood parrots? Or are they not as healthy?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

mishka wrote: So if RD's and Midas are almost exactly identical physically and mentally wise, why is it worth it to get a pure breed? Is it just for the actual fact of having a pure bred? I know how some people feel to hybrids.. are the hybrids unable to breed like blood parrots? Or are they not as healthy?

They absolutely are not identical physically.......IMO, a true Midas is a magnificent fish...however, again, IMO, true RD's are one ugly fish. The only similarity IMO is the color(s).

It is worth it to keep them separate because, if we allow cichlids to interbreed freely, then one day, there may be no more Midas or RD. And that would be a shame. :(

A. Labiatus, The Red Devil:

A. Citrinellus, The Midas cichlid:

You will need a bare minimum of a 75GL just for one, & tankmates will probably be an impossibility, as they come by the name Red Devil quite honestly.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mishka

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

off topic but i saw some nice fish at my petco today i got talkin to the man and he showed me a black ghost knife fish which is common but they had alot of jd's and oscars wild caught and red , also had pike i saw and he had a hybrid red tail catfish/bristle nose i think it said if i can remember but he said next thursday 30$ Electric blue jds are coming in he said their usually 60$ but half off or something, they also have rd but idk if its an rd or a mida, also i saw a 3.5 inch red texas looks awesome but was mean guy said wanted him but knew i dont have space ;p i just rehomed my pictus so now my 55gal is all home to my 4 inch O ;p playground

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds