Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

Darth Nandopsis wrote:

mishka wrote: So if RD's and Midas are almost exactly identical physically and mentally wise, why is it worth it to get a pure breed? Is it just for the actual fact of having a pure bred? I know how some people feel to hybrids.. are the hybrids unable to breed like blood parrots? Or are they not as healthy?

They absolutely are not identical physically.......IMO, a true Midas is a magnificent fish...however, again, IMO, true RD's are one ugly fish. The only similarity IMO is the color(s).

It is worth it to keep them separate because, if we allow cichlids to interbreed freely, then one day, there may be no more Midas or RD. And that would be a shame. :(

A. Labiatus, The Red Devil:
My Midevil, at about 8ins lives alone in a 90g. Very mean, attacks the python, breaks thermometers, crushes any food offered the instant it hits the surface. Wouldnt even try a tankmate, not even in a huge tank. Would kill or fight to the death with anything. My RedTex is on a whole other level of crazy, beautiful fish but a complete psycho goon.

A. Citrinellus, The Midas cichlid:

You will need a bare minimum of a 75GL just for one, & tankmates will probably be an impossibility, as they come by the name Red Devil quite honestly.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

^^^^^

That's a good looking Midas.

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

They absolutely are not identical physically.......IMO, a true Midas is a magnificent fish...however, again, IMO, true RD's are one ugly fish. The only similarity IMO is the color(s).

It is worth it to keep them separate because, if we allow cichlids to interbreed freely, then one day, there may be no more Midas or RD. And that would be a shame. :(

A. Labiatus, The Red Devil:

A. Citrinellus, The Midas cichlid:

You will need a bare minimum of a 75GL just for one, & tankmates will probably be an impossibility, as they come by the name Red Devil quite honestly.

Ahhh okay, great info, thank you. I have no clue what kind of fish this is so it's all new to me, that Midas is really cool looking! It's definitely not my cup of tea so I'm not looking to buy one, just wanted to know the difference B)

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

i love my midevil... i say you get one!

side note: the guy that took that picture of the midas had such an awesome looking stock before he took everyone out and put a mangrove jack in that tank.

• Thank you received: 1

darkhorse419 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

Some Red Devils are VERY ugly, and some are beautiful fish like mine!! They start off very shy and skittish (IME) but once they hit maturity, they are a whole other story!!! He is now in the 55 gallon all by himself because he was chasing everyone relentlessly until I bought more hiding spots... Then it hit me, all my fish are hiding except one!!! :S

Here is my Red Devil (Bought from a very reliable source) 1 month ago at 5 months old - around 6" at this point, has since put a little more length but the hump and thickness is REALLY starting to show!!!

• Thank you received: 3

Monkeyboy668 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

That def does not look pure labiatus.....Are you sure thats not a citrenellus x labiatus? Pure Labiatus do not generally get a Nuchal hump

Monkeyboy668 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

Have you had a look at the other Amphilophus available? You could get a Chancho or Hoga which are also awesome fish. Have you looked into Trimacs? I used to have a female around 8" who was an absolute beast.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

Monkeyboy668 wrote: That def does not look pure labiatus.....Are you sure thats not a citrenellus x labiatus? Pure Labiatus do not generally get a Nuchal hump

Not true

Also a red devil (top-right) with a nuchal hump in the pictures provided by Paul Loiselle

www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=106

My apologies I do see a slight nuchal hump in the above picture and the snout is a bit more elongated. I am getting a true Midas tomorrow from Oddball express in Stafford. Prob the best place in the UK to get SA/CA cichlids as he orders from Rapps, Conkel, Cichlids of the Americas etc. Willl be interesting to compare pics when full grown =)

• Thank you received: 1

darkhorse419 replied the topic: Thinkin on gettin an RD in the future got questions though

He is getting the black spots on his lips from time to time (At one point he had a Hitler going on!! :evil: ) and on his body/fins but none have stayed... Curious to see what he looks like when full gtown!!!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds