N. Beani & stress

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis created the topic: N. Beani & stress

As most of you know, I have a 4" male Nandopsis Beani.....I have had all sorts of "challenging" fish (Discus, T. Duboisi, to name a few) in the past, & raised them all successfully w/ no problems whatsoever, really didn't see what all the fuss was about......but this guy is TOUGH.....this is the 4th time since I got him last May (I think it was May!! LOL) that he has gotten stressed out from minor things, IE moving to a new tank, changing decor, etc...minor things really, my Jag wouldn't blink an eye from this sort of thing, & my Oscar sulked for a while & so did my RT Mota, but both of those fish snapped out of it fairly quickly....the Beani started showing signs of stress last Friday right before I was leaving for Lancaster PA (OF COURSE) w/ the whole "white stringy poop" thing......he was eating like a champ Thursday, & then WHAMMO, Friday this happened again....I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, as this is an ongoing issue w/ him....water temp is 73F (they prefer it cool) WC 75% 2X per week, PH 7.8, ammonia 0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate less than 5PPM.....55GL tank, there is a ML Emperor 280, AC110, Supreme internal filter, & a sponge filter....he's swimming around fairly normally (he was freaking out when I came near the tank, seems to be coming out of that today, came right up to me), but will not eat.....refuses all food, no interest at all, even food he normally attacks........he has not eaten since last Thursday, been treating w/ Epsom salts, added Tetra PG last night.....I'm hoping he comes around, but this is the most frustrating fish I have EVER owned....I love it, beautiful & rare, but this crap is pissing me off to no end. :pinch:

If anyone has any thoughts they are appreciated.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: N. Beani & stress

Did you ever let the temp drop to the 60s in the winter time? I know that gymnos get burned out when not given a cooling period.

Maybe longer fasting periods or less protein rich foods, considering where they come from, food is hard to come by.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: N. Beani & stress

I dropped the temp to 72F last night, I will drop down to 68F, but I am concerned about metabolism becoming slowed down...I want him to eat..... but he still has that stringy white poop as of 6:30am this morning. :pinch:

His mainstay is Tetra Crisps flake right now ( apparently the breeder fed the fry that, as he ATTACKS this stuff normally), in addition Omega One kelp flake, occassionally FD krill soaked in Boyd's VC.......Rock, I swear by all that's holy he was devouring his food last week.....this refusing food drives me nuts....a healthy cichlid will eat until they pop....very concerned :pinch: , I did read a few articles online (MFK) about BN's & Beanis w/ bloat, some suggested adding salt in addition to Epsom salt...I did add Instant Ocean last time this occurred,very small amount, seemed to help.....

I will wait & see what effect the PG has.....I did a 50% WC 3 days ago, & another one yesterday.....added more Epsom salt this AM as well as the PG......hopefully this will clear his intestinal tract soon & it will get back to "business as usual". :pinch:

Just drives me nuts that all my other fish never experience problems(KNOCK WOOD!!LOL) & the rarest fish I have is a basket case.....@ least according to what I've read online, I'm not alone!!! :blink:

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Have you consulted the breeder?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Unkown as to who that is.....I got this guy from Ed Hall who obtained it from one of his connections.....but that's a capital idea, Rock....I will give Ed a shout & see if he can talk to this guy for me. B)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: N. Beani & stress

Hey Jack whats up buddy!

I am to keeping a Beani as you know Honestly I have no problems with mine other than he hides a lot and that I think is due to him being in the basement and not seeing people all that often.

Mine does not eat a ton either and the kicker is I do not keep a heater in the tank and either did the "collector" .

I can ask him if there is anything else special but hell I feed a better diet than he did. Shrimp pellet earthworm pellet and veggie flakes.

He is not a huge eater at this point either.

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Hmmm... I think the take away from this is to feed beani's sparingly, maybe no more than 3 times a week. Being a sub tropical fish in water cooler than 75f, it will never eat like parachromis species. I wouldn't be surprised, if kept at 60 f the fish will only eat once in 2 weeks.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Thanks guys....I don't feed him every day, every 2 days, figured I'd give it a day to pass thru.....but when he ate.....he destroyed it. Aggressively.

He is also in the basement, almost zero traffic....usually just me. Not really a hider either....not hiding now as we speak.

I'm simply stumped as to why he has re-occurring bouts of this shit. (Literally!!LOL) He is kept in cool water, lots of current, fed a low-protein diet....& he'll be fine for weeks, & then this. :pinch:

I will post a video ASAP.

Maybe something in the water or lacking in the water? You did say instant ocean helped. Maybe do a comparison of the water authority report for Eddie's area versus your area and the ingredients in instant ocean.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

Hope you get him sorted out the poor guy. Fish are tough. Is it stomach lining from stress or parasite causing the white poo? Not sure if it's a good idea or not but maybe just let him go for 6-7 days without a water change or food and little activity in his tank. Usually water changes are a good thing more than bad. How does he act during water changes?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds