• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: N. Beani & stress

UPDATE:

Today marks 3 weeks since I have last seen this fish eat......I have been doing WC's every other day (every day the last 3 days)....have added salt, epsom salts.....& I will be going out today & obtaining more Tetra PG......as stated this is his 3rd bout w/ this shit (although today NO white stringy feces), but this is by far the longest I have ever experienced a fish going on a hunger strike....he looks good, swimming around, but absolutely will not eat.....making me nuts. :pinch:

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 5PPM
Temp: 73F (no heater on)

Anyone have any experience force-feeding a fish less than 5"? I don't want to do it, as I am afraid I may hurt him, but soon I may have no options. :pinch:

Maybe beef the temperature up to 80F temporarily to boost metabolism?

I simply do NOT understand WTF is stressing this fish out. He is the sole inhabitant of this aquarium, & he has the best conditions I can give him. You feel like smacking him in the mush..."Knock it the F off!!! LOL:pinch:

Maybe if I move him to the 125GL, & put the Jag in the 55GL, just to see if maybe a big aquarium will help him improve? I don't know, just desperate for this situation to improve.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

Jack not sure if this matters but I was treating my sons loaches with pg and they are not eating been over a week. Maybe the meds cleared up the parasite but are still affecting him ? Probably wrong but who knows just a thought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

Is the stomach sunken in like a malnourished child? Or does the stomach area look fine?

Move him to the 125g first, but give him a couple of weeks to adjust. I also would not raise the temperature on a fish that lives in sub-tropical environment. It would be almost like forcing him to run a marathon when sick.

If you think you need to force feed. I would go fishing and practice on those fish first. Get a plastic syringe and airline tubing. Fill with mushed up fish food, much thinner than pudding. There's always the danger of having the tubing push on the gills or pushing the syringe so hard that the force of the food blows the stomach.

It took me around ~10 attempts before I could get the airline tubing down my festae's throat. I did not do all the attempts in one day. I had difficulty timing when the fish would gasp and open his throat up.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

What I'm gonna do is make up a solution (1 TBS per 500ML of distilled H2O) & get a pipette & shoot it down his gullet......Rock told me about this a while ago, & I read about it online.....I think he may have Hexamita in his stomach/intestines, & from what I've read, ES is deadly on Hex, so WTF, what do I have to lose...white stringy feces is a sign of Hex, from what I've read, I used to have T. Duboisi's that had it too, but not this bad....if the Beani doesn't eat soon, he may be past the point of no return anyway....netting him may stress him out more, but this has gone on long goddamn enough.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Rocksor replied the topic: N. Beani & stress

You can use the epsom salt solution to mush up the flake food that you have.

I had a 7" pike that didn't eat for 30 days. Once the stress went down it ate something, and it's stomach was quite sunken in.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"Is the stomach sunken in like a malnourished child? Or does the stomach area look fine?"

Looks flat, for lack of a better term ,but definitely not sunken in.

Force-feeding is not what I meant...my apologies....I'm gonna shoot that epsom salt solution directly down his gullet, to kill any parasites that are in there......won't be until Sunday, as I have to go freaking out of town, blame my wife :pinch: ....but I did do another WC this AM, & added more ES & aquarium salt....I tell ya, his color os great, I've never seen him this green, but this F'er won't eat!!! :pinch:

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

The nice coloration could be a good sign. Get a vid of the force feeding if you can. Just the ES solution sounds like a good idea with maybe a small amount of food mixed in to give it some consistency. Don't blow him up! Lol. Must be getting really frustrating by now. Sounds like he isn't quite getting rid of it all during your treatments and it dies off enough for him to recover then builds up again over time. If the first forced dose goes good maybe you should do it every couple days for 3-4 treatments. I'm sure Rock will know if that's a possibility, or a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

Something is missing in your Philly water for him to show vibrant colors after adding aquarium salt. Typically malnourished fish have a dull flat color.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Well, all my other fish are more than fine, & I've kept a plethora of species in Philly H20, & he never lost color, so I don't think it's the water...Philly water has a PH of 7.8, & is moderately hard, so my CA's thrive in it (I do soften my Oscars water w/ peat).

I think something is stressing him out, but I have yet to figure it out.....but once this calms down, I am going to give him a "shot" of that Epsom salt solution just to kill any "bug" in his gullet.

But the big news is.......TODAY HE ATE!!! I came home today fro running errands, & he rushed up to the front of the tank & did the "feed me" dance.....& has WOLFED down some Tetra crisps & some Omega One marine flakes.....I will not feed him any more today, want him to adjust slowly, but I hope this is the last go-round of this shit!!!

I do have to say that in addition to Epsom salts & aquarium salt, that very frequent large-scale partial WC's had a lot to do with him bouncing back. Just an opinion.

Thanks again to all who helped me with this. Never too old to learn!! B)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:N. Beani & stress

Good news on the turn a round

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds