Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

I remember that video you showed me of her taking food from your hand, missing the first time, but still not a single scratch. She's so gentle and adorable!

And here's something... just for you

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

She is :D

For those of you that thinks she's part red terror - I definitely think you're right. Her stripes are getting more obvious over time, and she has that 'Y' barring that's found in red terrors (see here ).

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

convict cichlds also have the y bar

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured there was no need to make a new one. Anyway, I'm thinking she's probably not part convict. When I bought her home she was 18cm. Measured tonight, she's clocking in at 21cm (7 - just over 8 inches). I wouldn't expect that quick growth if she had convict ancestry.

She's had some interesting colour changes lately. Firstly, she got a lot more black than shown in the pics so most of her body had a dark greyish cast over the pink, and bright red-pink on her throat. Now, she's starting to lose her black on her fins altogether, and is developing a bright red-pink on the top of her dorsal fin. It's starting to look like this: www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/688/01_red_terror_2_088.jpg

God help me, I'm going to need a bigger tank for her if "she" turns out to be a male RD x red terror hybrid.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

Post a new pic, I like to see what ya have there. Sounding like my kinda fish!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Alrighty :D will do.

She's an amazing fish. So much attitude... too much attitude sometimes. She wasn't impressed I tried to give her peas last night and had a full on tantrum. Spat bits of pea all over the place, then when I offered her another she glared at my hand, then tail slapped the surface of the water, swam around in a circle then flared at me. By then I wasn't impressed either. I was quite damp.

• Thank you received: 4

Morosith replied the topic: Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

Very cool cichlid you have there :) I can't wait to see pics of her now!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

Sounds like an awesome fish and a great story of how you got her.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

Here she is. I didn't notice the tiny bit of permanent marker left on the outside of the tank. I tried to nag my fiance into taking a few more pics after I removed it, but she had a major tantrum and splashed water everywhere so this will have to do.

The pink spot above her eye is just a difference in pigment. I was originally concerned it might have been the start of HITH caused by her previous life in the lab, but it isn't sunken in at all. Just seems to be missing black pigment there for whatever reason.

The pink on top of her dorsal fin is a lot brighter in person. It's a vivid pinkish-red colour.

But yeah, see all the pink patches on her fins and that, and down her lateral line? She's just starting to lose black pigmentation there. Every day there's more pink and less black. When she's pissy or really happy the black gets darker, and her throat turns bright pink. As you can see from her earlier pics, not too long ago everywhere that had dark pigment was uniformly dark. It's only been the last week or two it's started changing like this.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Sexing a Red Devil + Pics

No point making a new thread, but I thought people might be amused to hear that the b**** bit me! lol. She got me good too, clamped down on either side of my fingernail and the pressure split the skin on the top of my finger.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds