Jack Dempsey Juvie Tips

• rksegal1
  • rksegal1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

rksegal1 created the topic: Jack Dempsey Juvie Tips

I recently rescued a tiny (1" or less) jack dempsey who was getting beat up. Currently he's in my 29 gallon and has healed almost completely over the course of 2 days. The water quality is good, water is crystal clear, and he has cover. He's been getting spirulina, brine shrimp, and blood worms from a pipette once a day. The reason I'm inquiring is... should I up the feeding to twice a day or leave it at just once a day? Is there anything else I should be doing to help keep him as healthy as possible?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Jack Dempsey Juvie Tips

Treat him as you would any other cichlid. Still tiny, so feed 2 or even 3x daily. They are a tough fish, and grow fairly slow. 29 obviously not a good long term home, but will easily suffice a few months. Get him on a good pellet asap, even if you have to grind some into wee bits. I find JD does appreciate some cover, even my big adult male spends a lot of time under and behind structure. Good save, get some size on it, colored up nice and lets have a look!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Jack Dempsey Juvie Tips

"The water quality is good, water is crystal clear..."

What exactly are your parameters? Clear water does not mean clean water. What filter(s) do you have on this tank, & how long has it been running?

Being in a 29GL tank means LOTS of WC's.....I would comfortably state no less than 75% 3X weekly, just to prevent stunting. JD's don't get as big as Oscars, but I have seen full grown males pushing 12".

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds