Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

Man this makes miss my JD so Damn bad!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

damn thats a beautiful tank

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

Those are great looking Dempsey's and that's a great looking tank! I love how it's almost all black and the bright green algae really pops out .

Well done!

• Chris-gashead
  • Chris-gashead's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chris-gashead replied the topic: Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

Darth Nandopsis wrote: 1st off....that's a helluva good looking pair o' JD's. Shame your across the pond, because I wouldn't mind getting some juvies off of that pair.

As far as WC's go, let's put it this way....I literally just got done doing a 90% WC on my 125GL Jag tank.....& I just did one last Saturday. While your fish are obviously in great shape, if ya want to put some size on them, do big WC's as often as the mood strikes you, along w/ a thorough gravel vacuuming. Absolutely the best thing in the world for your fish.

I have a question.....how do you cultivate that algae on those rocks? I take it no pleco in there..... :whistle: I can't get that stuff to grow, & I like the look of it.

To be honest I didn't really plan for hair algae! My aquarium is near a window and I left the lights on for about 12 hours a day initially for the first couple of weeks, plus the LED's for another 2 hours. This made cleaning the tank a bit harder, but I noticed this nice effect on the rocks (they were new and didn't have the look I was after - I wanted them to look more natural and therefore more...grubby) It started to grow this algae and I got the desired effect, so I have now reduced the lighting from 12 hours to about 5, plus 2 hours LED still. As it is still near a window, it maintains a high level of light anyway so I guess the algae is betting enough light to continue surviving.

Thanks for the info RE water changes. I will do larger changes regularly to ensure growth and health. I might be weird but I actually quite like doing the maintenance side of fish keeping, so its not a problem for me to do even 200% water changes a week! :)

Thanks for al the nice comments guys. The tank is unfortunately heavily marked with scratches on the front, as it was an ex display tank and was cheap (I think £150 and came with everything, about 5 years ago) but you can't see it in the dark so that's the best time for photos ;)

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Chris-gashead replied the topic: Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

As promised, here are some better videos of my JD's. The male appears to be more colourful than most males I have seen.... Maybe a blue gene or something?

Just did a 50% water change, and then fed the fish, so please excuse all the floating debris ;)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

Beauty pair for sure. Are they the same age? Lady looks a bit bigger than the fella. Damn nice fish regardless.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Beauty pair for sure. Are they the same age? Lady looks a bit bigger than the fella. Damn nice fish regardless.

I assume they are the same age. I purchased 5 from the same batch and had a male and female from that batch. I initially thought the female was male as it was the largest of them all, which is strange as usually the males grow bigger, quicker don't they? The male has great facial markings.... will these get less over time or will these markings remain long term? They were supper aggressive towards the other JD's so I had to take a day off work so that I could rehome the others, unfortunately one didn't make it and died looking like he had been run up and down a cheese grater :(

These two are breeding literally once a fortnight, or possibly less time. However, none of the fry ever make it. I have seen them eat the fry, but I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I have now covered the inlet of my filter with a pair of tights to ensure they cannot get sucked up any more lol. I wonder if they are getting stressed when I do water changes and eat their fry?? They have had several batches now so you would think they would have learnt to keep them alive by now. Any advice on this guys? I am not massively worried as I have no where to keep them anyway, but they could be food for Malawi (mean of me isn't it :( )

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yet another batch of fry gone. Anyone know why they don't keep them alive? Is it typical for young JD's to eat their fry for the first 4/5 months?

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Rocio Octofasciata (Jack Dempsey) Growth rate, and some info

Do they eat them right away? If they are breeding every fortnight then perhaps they eat them every time they are going to breed? Could you offer up some more hiding places maybe; something in the floating plant category?

Beautiful fish btw.

• Chris-gashead
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

They eat them when they are free swimming usually. They care for them up to that point. I don't actually know if they are eating them to be fair though I did see the male eat one of fry a while back otherwise when I am home and watching they are usually ok with them. I have a tiger plec and bristle nose plec with them but cant imagine them eating the fry as the JD's dont let anything near them. I wonder if my filter is the cause?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds