EBJD Acting Funny

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar created the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

I haven't been on here in months! Interesting changes to the site. Anyways, I have a little 2" EBJD that is acting a little funny. I've kept cichlids for years (everything from Wild Discus to large Crenicichla), so I've seen a lot of different behaviors, but this just strikes me as a little odd. He will lie in one spot for most of the day, not really moving at all, unless I walk up to the tank. He's not really eating as much, but he is pooping, just not as much. I've had fish do this for a few days, but not for weeks. What do you guys think could be the problem?

The water parameters are all good, he has the whole 29 gallon to himself (except for a few straglers that are getting sold), and I feed him some really nice food! I made my own food for my Discus (Han's special recipe), but sold them so now I have some nice left over food. I've even tried giving him NLS, but he wont touch it for some reason. I think the next food to try is Hikari. He seems to love the bottom feeder Hikari food, but nothing else. It's just stressing me out, because I want him to be happy :/
#387613

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 5943
  • Karma: 4
  • Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Blue Jack is a very delicate fish. I would say typical cichlid behavior so far, inactive, getting used to his new digs. Could last several weeks. They generally dont do well with tankmates, particularly at 2ins. He may be stressed with other activity in the tank. water must be kept better than good for tiny ebjd. They have weak immune systems at that size and are more susceptible to health issues. They grow super slow, it may take a year for it to double the current size. If you can get it to 4ins or better, keep pristine water and get him in a 55g tank, you will have a beautiful fish. Failure rate for these guys is quite high, and often no fault of the fishkeeper. Just the way they are.


I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
#387618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1171
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Welcome back! I am curious what you mean in your parenthetical comment "except for a few stragglers". As far as I know a 29 gal would be a bare minimum or even insufficient for a single JD, especially for the freak-show that is the EBJD. Perhaps over-crowding is the issue and he is pouty because of it? JD's are well known pouts and very sensitive in general.
#387620

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1448
  • Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

If you have only had him a few days, I agree with Surpd71 it's him just settling in, but Surpd71 & Poseidon have a point depending on the type of "straglers" they might make it hard on your little EBJD. As Surpd says they are very fragile at that young age.
#387633

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Suprd71 wrote: Blue Jack is a very delicate fish. I would say typical cichlid behavior so far, inactive, getting used to his new digs. Could last several weeks. They generally dont do well with tankmates, particularly at 2ins. He may be stressed with other activity in the tank. water must be kept better than good for tiny ebjd. They have weak immune systems at that size and are more susceptible to health issues. They grow super slow, it may take a year for it to double the current size. If you can get it to 4ins or better, keep pristine water and get him in a 55g tank, you will have a beautiful fish. Failure rate for these guys is quite high, and often no fault of the fishkeeper. Just the way they are.


Actually, that's the weird part! He was in the tank with a Male GBR and Female Krib for a few weeks and did well. They were rehomed a couple weeks ago. It's almost like he went into fish depression when they left. He was acting totally normal when they were there. I really want to get him his own 75 gallon some day, all to himself! I hope he snaps out of it soon!
#387651

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Welcome back! I am curious what you mean in your parenthetical comment "except for a few stragglers". As far as I know a 29 gal would be a bare minimum or even insufficient for a single JD, especially for the freak-show that is the EBJD. Perhaps over-crowding is the issue and he is pouty because of it? JD's are well known pouts and very sensitive in general.


I mean, I have a school of Neon Tetras and CPD's in the tank with him ATM. There are 6 of each for a total of 12. I am well aware that they could become snacks one day, but good thing they are leaving tomorrow :) I also know that a 29 is way too small for most New World cichlids. When he hits about 4" I was going to upgrade his tank to at LEAST 55 gallons. My dream tank would be a 180 gallon for the JD with a school of Central American Tetra's (not sure what gets large enough to avoid being eaten by a large Jack Dempsey off the top of my head haha). Believe me, he will be spoiled some day!
#387652

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

DBLN8 wrote: If you have only had him a few days, I agree with Surpd71 it's him just settling in, but Surpd71 & Poseidon have a point depending on the type of "straglers" they might make it hard on your little EBJD. As Surpd says they are very fragile at that young age.


2 schools of Tetras. See my reply to Surpd to see what. Ya, I'm worried this could be a parasite issue or bloat issue. Something internal :/
#387654

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Posts: 6163
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Any fish that is as fragile as a EBJD really should have been housed by itself to avoid disease/parasite contamination from other species.

Please post some pics or even better a video so we can ID any problems.

I would recommend doing every other day partial WC of 50% for starters. Can't hurt.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
#387678
The following user(s) said Thank You: scarhbar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Any fish that is as fragile as a EBJD really should have been housed by itself to avoid disease/parasite contamination from other species.

Please post some pics or even better a video so we can ID any problems.

I would recommend doing every other day partial WC of 50% for starters. Can't hurt.


After the wild caught Discus I've owned, I've become somewhat of a water change fanatic. Sometimes I even siphon the fish poop before it even has a chance to hit the floor. Ok, just kidding ha.

The circumstances were not ideal when I took him in, but he was free and my friend had to get rid of him THAT DAY, and my tank was full. I've pretty much sold everything in the first week, but I've had a little trouble trying to sell the Tetras and CPDs. Not for too much longer though. Trust me, I can't wait to pamper him in his own tank.
#387728

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • scarhbar
  • scarhbar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Posts: 613
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: EBJD Acting Funny

I did find out the problem though. It was one of those lack-of-common-sense type moments. He always hid near the front of the glass behind other objects, so I thought maybe it was the heater or filter or something mechanical. I moved around a few decorations and he came out!

The problem was that his reflection was showing in the back of the tank where some paint on the outside had started to chip off. And yes, this was aquarium safe paint, and it was on the outside of the tank, it just started falling off in one area, leaving the glossy black background exposed. I think he felt threatened by his reflection and that's why he was hiding, because after rearranging his decor, and covering the glossy spot, he's out and about! He comes to the glass expecting food and looks active!

In other news, I am the king of run-on sentences. Good gracious my grammar looks atrocious. :sick:
#387729

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds