jack dempsey eggs

• bopper
  • bopper's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

bopper created the topic: jack dempsey eggs

hi everyone my jack dempseys have breed. i have moved eggs into another tank as i was worried about other fish eating them. about 20% of the eggs have turned white after two days, i can see little black dots in the rest. the eggs that have turned white have a sort of fuzzy substance on them, was just wondering if i should remove bad eggs or leave them be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: jack dempsey eggs

The eggs that have turned white are infertile, and the fuzzy substance is most likely a fungus. Dispose of the infertile eggs, and keep an eye on the rest and remove any more that get the same thing.

Good luck!

• bopper
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

bopper replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey eggs

ok thanks. how should i remove them? im worried i will disturb good eggs as there are so many close together.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey eggs

I'm not 100% sure in all honesty. If it were me, I would either attempt to carefully siphon out the bad eggs using just a siphon hose (remove the tube thing) into a bucket so you can retrieve any good eggs you accidentally get, or very carefully try and scoop out the bad ones using a very small net.

I'm sure someone else will come along that will direct you with certainty on what the best option is though.

• bopper
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

ok i have carefully removed what i can with my fingers. they are now starting to hatch. my next question is when to feed them? i have some frozen brine shrimp.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey eggs

We demand pictures!!!! Cute baby JDs!!!!

The first three days the fry just absorb their protein sacks. Are they in an established aquarium? I hope the tank you put them in is cycled. If it is a well established tank they should be fine for a while nibbling on healthy microorganisms.

They will be too small to eat the brine shrimp for 10 days or so, in any case. Instead, Try grinding flakes or pellets into a powder initially, after the first few days and their sacks have disappeared. What do you plan to do with them?

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:jack dempsey eggs

You can get a food called first bites made by hikari which is specifically for fry.I have gotten it from petsmart, but I am sure most chains and lfs would carry it. It is a very fine powder and I have always dissolved it in a bit of tank water, then sucked it up with a syringe . I then use the syringe to disperse it as close as possible tho the fry.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: jack dempsey eggs

ok thanks. how should i remove them? im worried i will disturb good eggs as there are so many close together.

using a turkey baster would probably work

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• bopper
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

eggs have hatched. I'm estimating around 200. i spoke to the man at my local pet store, he can sell them on if i can get them to 4.5cm and i may give some away to friends. ill get some photos up when they are a bit bigger. they are in an established tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds