Amphilophus Hogaboomorum Cichlids

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Amphilophus Hogaboomorum Cichlids

I am thinking about possibly getting a one or two of these guys for the 125 I am getting (likely picking up tank tonight). Jeff Rapps is out of commission for the next couple of weeks, but this local guy (60 minutes or so from me) is selling them. Would you guy steer clear of this or what? Guess I could always wait for Rapps to come back from holiday or whatever he is doing right now.

I have so many cycled canisters and media right now, as I have been running the Filstar XP on my 40 gallon for a month or so along with various HOBs and a smaller Canister as well. I think my 125 could be up and running pretty quickly.

delaware.craigslist.org/for/4632283111.html

This terrible shot is from the Craigslist breeder:

They are beautiful fish, imo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Amphilophus Hogaboomorum Cichlids

If you're after pure hogaboomorums I wouldn't go for that. I would never suggest buying an amphilophus anything from anyone other than a breeder with a good reputation if you're after a pure one, because chances are pretty high the fish will be hybrids.

That fish doesn't look like a pure hoga to me, but I'm not certain by any means.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Amphilophus Hogaboomorum Cichlids

Yeah, I am not sure from that picture, because it is so crappy. I wrote him an email to ask more about the parents, where he got them, etc. Will see what he says. I am just thinking out loud here (this place is good for that!). And am not committed to anything at the moment.

That's fair enough. See what he says, he might turn around and say he got a pure pair from Rapps! :D

I'm not adverse at all to keeping hybrid fish as pets (I mean, all 4 of mine are probably mutts), but I personally wouldn't buy any cichlids I thought could be hybrids (lucky for my RDs I got them for free lol).

I'm just not a fan of buying them because they (especially hybrid amphilophus species) have ruined the market here for a lot of pure species. Trimacs in particular are just about nonexistent here :(

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Yeah I understand that. I will see what he says. I am kind of hoping he says he got them from Rapps. :)

The guy selling the used 125 I looked at from Craigslist (and didn't buy) had a 55 gal with a large male Texas and a female Parrot C that were breeding. He called the fry "Red Texas", which I hadn't heard of before. I don't know why he wouldn't just breed regular Ts,

I guess they are pretty colorful, but was't really interested in this kind of science experiment. This is from Wiki, the fry of the Cl guy (not the hogaboo breeder though, that is someone different) were much darker.

Anyhoo, I will post an update about the Hogaboo breeder when I hear back from him.

ETA: the guy selling the Hogaboomorum is selling them for 2 bucks a piece with a 10 dollar min; so cheap to be sure. Seems like he is just trying to get rid of them more than trying to make any real profit.

That's why I'm a bit suss tbh. As far as I'm aware A. hogaboomorums aren't exactly common in the fish trade, so I'm a bit baffled why he'd want to get rid of them so cheaply.

Edit: I think Suprd has a red texas, and has named her "the Witch" :laugh: I think they're hybrids between a texas cichlid and some kind of amphilophus.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ha. So that is what "The Witch" is. Pretty funny. The RTs juvies I saw were created from a Parrot cichlid mom, a fish I am not overly found of; an amphilophus co-parent would be a cooler choice I think. I am certainly not opposed to mutts, in any case. My cats are probably mutts and all great pets. :)

I may just wait until Rapps get up and running again after Oct. 13th and order something nice. would also save me the 1.5 hr drive to Dover DE (where the CL guy lives).

Still may put Poseidon in the 125 with his old pleco "friend". How can you tell I have never owned a tank this size before? Because I am going crazy with the possibilities!! :lol:

Haha :D I don't blame you. I had the same thing when we got the 6x2 for Henry. At the time we just had Henry and 6 SDs and I was going mad thinking of what I could put in with him. Ended up driving myself so crazy that we just went 'screw it!' and got 4 more SDs. I was only intending to have Henry and the SDs in the tank, but then Adie came along so...

If I were you I'd put Poseidon in with his pleco in the 125, and get a single 'wet pet' for the 75gal. That said, I'm incredibly bias. I only have one tank out of 6 that has more than one fish in it lol

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Amphilophus Hogaboomorum Cichlids

I am fortunate enough to have a hardcore breeder in my area and he has done Hoga before. They are petty much like any other amp as to personality but seem to be milder as adults and can sometimes work in communities. I had one for a while but it had a bad habit of nipping at the scales of fish and eating them. I have seen this behavior in a couple fish over the years and is a trait I dont want so I rehomed it. The same breeder has also done Red Isletas which I liked the look of much more than the hoga but this turned out to be way too aggressive for my community. I would want to know where the hoga came from before buying but sometimes a mutt can make a nice fish.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Yeah, I wouldn't go all that way if I didn't know where they came from. Plenty amalgams here in town.

Interesting, I have seen the Red Isletas, but don't like the colors so much. Ha. Personal preferences. ;)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds