Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

Guys is it possible for fish that are so small to already establish a pecking order. One of the argentea (Zeus) seems to be boss of the tank everyone including the other argentea steer clear of him where ever he is they are not. I thought this was interesting last night he spent a good amount of time entering all the hides (4caves and the sponge filter) and chasing out who ever was inhabiting each

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

Yeah, it's definitely possible. I'd say that it's pretty likely that it would happen as soon as they're out of the fry stage. In my experience things calm down quite a bit once the pecking order is properly established. Took a couple of months or so with Henry and Adie.

Just be glad that they don't hate each other like juvenile Umbees hate each other, lol. The juvenile Umbees at the LFS I got Ganbie from were all kept in separate tanks, because as soon as they hit around 1" they started wailing on each other like crazy.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

daddadoo7 wrote: Guys is it possible for fish that are so small to already establish a pecking order. One of the argentea (Zeus) seems to be boss of the tank everyone including the other argentea steer clear of him where ever he is they are not. I thought this was interesting last night he spent a good amount of time entering all the hides (4caves and the sponge filter) and chasing out who ever was inhabiting each

Yes, my juvie severums had a clear pecking order in the tank they were from and Severus was boss when my three were all together. Their colors change accordingly too. Now that Harry is the boss of the severum tank he has lost his stress-stripes (as I call them) and swims around like he owns the place. Not so a month ago when Severus was there. Very interesting to watch in fish so small.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

I had purchased four heterospilus and had raised them out in my 72g bowfront looking for the one with the most color and personality. The pecking order settled in quickly with the dominant one growing just a bit faster and bigger than the rest. It was weird to watch them because at times they would school for protection and other times bicker. I ended up keeping the biggest that I thought was a male. Not sure if that was the best decision... he likes to flare up on the snook who is bigger than him. Seems to be more bark than bite but I do not like it instigating the problem. While the hets are one of the more peaceful from this family they still can be feisty.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Im wondering if I should try one het at a time. Not sure how dusty or dory are going to react to another cichlid. 2nd treatment of gc done. Everyone is eating like pigs (nls, omega one regular and kelp pellets, and nls flake)

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

Add both to the 150 at the same time. It will help spread aggression to two fish instead of one taking the brunt of it from dusty or dory.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I was thinking that I could end up with zero if I did that vs ending up with one if things went bad.

All of them are eating much better even the hets are attacking the food (omega one kelp/reg and nls). Seems like if I leave the lights off aggression drops when ever I leave them on and walk away I return to new scrapes on the hets. Past few days I only leave them on during feedings. This guy is the boss named him zeus

• Thank you received: 5

Sneekit replied the topic: Re:Vieja heterospilus/Argentea growth thread

I've raised about every type of cichlid out there, and I agree that pecking order is established early on, as soon as fish leave the fry stage. In tanks with cichlids that grow at different speeds there will often be periods of time where the pecking order is challenged or changed as the fish are growing at different rates. Once they sort it out, aggression can calm down.

You could always try some dithers! Giant danios are some of my favorite dithers.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Tried dither tiger barbs seemed to work at first but eventually the argentea stopped paying attention to them. Im not too concerned as the hets will be moved to another tank

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Stupid question but I want to get a look at the heterospilus pooping before they go into the big tank. Is it just a matter of over feeding and sitting by the tank and waiting ?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds