jaguar cichlid filtration

• salmonator
  • salmonator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

salmonator created the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

Just a quick question . If I were to have a single male jaguar cichlid. In a 180 gallon tank fully grown. How much filtration do I really need. I want to keep this as simple as possible.
For instance . Would I really need a sump for that one fish with 10 liters of ceramic and bio balls and all that other good stuff. Or could I get away with maybe a couple aquaclear 110s with the intank media tray for extra bio media room

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

Overall they are a bit larger than a oscar, easily reaching 16", whereas the oscar reaches 14" on average. While you can squeak by with 2 AC 110 with an oscar, you would be pushing it with a jag due o the size difference. You can get buy with a canister filter with the jag, like an eheim 2217 filled with only biomedia and a AC110 filled with biomedia, or 2 eheim 2217.

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

salmonator replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

Would it just be easier to go with a sump?

Rocksor replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

depends on you, each has it pros and cons; the sound of a sump pump bugs me, so I went with canisters which I cannot hear unless I have the cabinet doors open and have my head under the stand.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:jaguar cichlid filtration

Get a big fluval FX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

I have my Jag in a 75GL by his lonesome......(after I move, he's gonna get his own 125GL)......has a wet/dry (sump), an AC110, a Emperor 400, an old Magnum 330, & a sponge filter.......mostly due to me running extra filters for emergencies, BUT I think bare minimum would be the sump & the AC110......the bigger they get, the messier......he shreds his food, fine particles everywhere, not as bad as an Oscar, but damn close. On a 180GL, I would definitely look into a sump & a canister, API Filstar (old Rena XP4) would be a great choice....big, powerful, easy to service, good price point.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

My male Jag, a fair sized lad at around 13-14ins, is alone in a 180. Filtration is an FX5 and AC110. I have no sump experience, but do recognize the superior bio filtration capabilities of these systems. My personal preference is large capacity, efficient canisters, with AC110's as mechanical assistance. You wont go wrong with sump, cans or big hobs. Each will compliment the other.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• salmonator
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

salmonator replied the topic: jaguar cichlid filtration

Well I've got a 75 gallon that I could use as a sump. And then all that I would need to cover for buying stuff in a pump and media.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds