Handfeeding Freddy 19 Feb 2015

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

She does look like a little jag at the moment, doesn't she?

Yeah, the tank was foul. The water she was transported home in smelled like a combination of sweet tea (as in the tea you drink, it was weird as) and something rotting.

The seller didn't have any other tanks. Just the 6x2x2. He did have a 4ft but it was empty and caked in dried black stuff. Why he had it sitting empty in his lounge I'll never know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

oh man ~ that's just wrong. 180 gallon of foul-ness. but non-the-less great job on the rescue ... she's in WAY better hand.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

Nice save! Those water conditions were unbelievably bad. Diluted to 10% nitrate still read 40ppm? :ohmy: And I'm pretty sure that 40 and 80 are the same color on the api freshwater chart, so if it looked like 40 it might have been higher. The water color and the three other tests (pH, KH and GH) also showed how bad that water was. She's a lucky jag-looking fish to have made it through that and into your care.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

@tehmole: Yeah I know. I felt so sorry for the other fish there, but thanks.

@UNC: Thanks, and yeah the colours are the same on the kit. I just don't want to think about the possibility of 800ppm. That's just completely insane.
In retrospect I wish I'd tested the ammonia as well. With the pH being that low I'm assuming the filter would be completely un-cycled. Luckily the majority of the ammonia present would have been in a less toxic form at a low pH like that.

Really glad I use Seachem Safe as my dechlorinator because it temporarily neutralises ammonia. I added a small pinch to the bucket while running the drip so that as the pH rose the resulting increase in the toxic form of ammonia wouldn't have killed her. It was touch and go for the first couple of hours though.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

Good job. She will be up to speed in no time.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lammergeier

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks Dave. Current plan is to up her tank's temp to ~28C (82 - 83F) - it's currently just over 26, but I wanted to just let her settle in today so will fix it when I do a w/c for her in the morning. Aside from that all I can really think to do at the moment is keep her water clean, and after a few days of feeding her whatever she'll actually eat (at the moment she'll only touch bloodworms) start trying to get her onto pellets.

If there's anything else I should do let me know.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

Try soaking the blood worms in liquid vitamins. The bws are very absorbent.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

I don't what it is about bloodworms, but my rescues and hunger strike fish always seem to take this first. Kinda recharges the tastebuds, and before long other feed is accepted.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

@Poseidon: Yeah I will as soon as my new Vitachem arrives. It was meant to be here by now, and I ran out a couple of days ago :pinch: stupid Amazon taking a million years to ship over here.

@Suprd: Yeah. It was lucky I had some still floating around. Throughout the day I had offered her little bits of almost everything else I have on hand (5 different pellets, bit of prawn, even tried a bit of flake because that's what she apparently ate) and no luck. Bloodworms? She went for them straight away and in front of me, even though she's terrified of people currently.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I was thinking. It's a lot easier to get a fish that's eating something already to eat something else, than it is to get a fish that's on a hunger strike to start eating again.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: I got a (maybe) Freddy!

UNC-CH wrote: Nice save! Those water conditions were unbelievably bad. Diluted to 10% nitrate still read 40ppm? :ohmy: And I'm pretty sure that 40 and 80 are the same color on the api freshwater chart, so if it looked like 40 it might have been higher. The water color and the three other tests (pH, KH and GH) also showed how bad that water was. She's a lucky jag-looking fish to have made it through that and into your care.

I pay more attention to the TDS of the old water. A dramatic decrease in TDS can kill a fish within a week much faster than a changing ph or decrease in nitrates.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds