One more amphilophus videoo.

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: One more amphilophus videoo.

I hope everyone is not sick of seeing this fish, but he never dissapoints, and is always up for a pic or video. This one is a couple of weeks old, before the pike tank crash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: One more amphilophus videoo.

I am not an citrinellum fan, most of them are more than ugly but your one looks very naturelike without that enormus hump on the forhead.

Are you more into breeding or collecting with mostly single stock tanks?

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:One more amphilophus videoo.

Rob i love ben ! Post all the vids you can
Oh yeah my son loves ben...thinks his name is funny cuz hes such a maniac

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: One more amphilophus videoo.

toom wrote: I am not an citrinellum fan, most of them are more than ugly but your one looks very naturelike without that enormus hump on the forhead.

I thought I was going to get into breeding at one point, but it can be a real pain, and unless you are breeding something exceptional there is no financial gain. I had 2 breeding pairs of salvini, a pair of blue rams, and a carpintis pair at one point, but each attempt ended in disaster. The fish in the video was a drop off at my local store, and after seeing him in a 2x12 inch enclosure for a couple of weeks I finally bought him.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:One more amphilophus videoo.

daddadoo7 wrote: Rob i love ben ! Post all the vids you can
Oh yeah my son loves ben...thinks his name is funny cuz hes such a maniac

Frank, I wish your son could come see him, he is like that 24/7. I don't stick my hand in the tank anymore, but he has really grown on me.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:One more amphilophus videoo.

Hey when can we see some of the salvini always loved them almost got one once

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:One more amphilophus videoo.

daddadoo7 wrote: Hey when can we see some of the salvini always loved them almost got one once

I only have one male, he killed his mate, and a very small female. I shipped the other pair to a former member(total disaster). Here is a recent video of the one I have. He has looked very washed out since I moved him into this tank, but he really has some amazing color if you catch him at the right time.

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: One more amphilophus videoo.

robham7770 wrote:

toom wrote: I am not an citrinellum fan, most of them are more than ugly but your one looks very naturelike without that enormus hump on the forhead.

I thought I was going to get into breeding at one point, but it can be a real pain, and unless you are breeding something exceptional there is no financial gain. I had 2 breeding pairs of salvini, a pair of blue rams, and a carpintis pair at one point, but each attempt ended in disaster. The fish in the video was a drop off at my local store, and after seeing him in a 2x12 inch enclosure for a couple of weeks I finally bought him.

I always try to keep fish with the possiblity of breeding, right now i have breeding snakeheads, Cryptoheros, Ancistrus sp Gold, L34,, shrimp, livebearers and i wish i could breed my Oscars or better said they will gift me with some fry.

For making Profit, its an different story. My stock List is for european standarts quite delicate with some rare pieces.

L34 the dragon ancistrus as example. My orginal pair is F0 and i bought them for about 90 USD, here i can sell from time to time offspring for about 15 Euros for an 2 inches fish
Ancistrus sp Gold is nearly the same, Gold is still rare here unlike albinos so 10 Euros per fish.

HRP is easy to breed and my customer is an LFS where i deliver 20 to 30 fishes any 3 months.

Snakeheads go well only online but also here i just get max 10 to 12 from a whole batch. Selling price is about 20 Euros

The biggest Profit is while its summer and shrimp breeding time. My beginngin population of 100 to 120 shrimps with 3/4 females (on Lymphknoten best from last and pre seasons increase in several months up to 8/10 times.

an ordinary red fire is 50 Cents
an dark and big red cherry is 2 Euros
Brown and green genetical defect ones become snakehead and Oscar food

Also i have created over the years an lower temperature accepting strain of guppys that handle temps down to 54 degrees with still spawing in the lower and mid 60s. Here i sell any year about 80% of my population in an german forum.

I also had many cost desasters but at some point i learned that if i reduce populations and doing any so energy efficient like possible and go away from power feeding you can make Profit.

As example
My outdoor projects are normally all without any tecnical eqipment. Food is delivered all by nature with alga grow from direct Sun light and rotten leafes attrachs insects for live food.

This year i will try to breed snakeheads in an former giant plastic Tube of an Garden Center that was from a Palm tree.

All this counted together at least give you the money to keep your hobby run on its own if you not burning money like me on new fish :D

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: One more amphilophus videoo.

Toom, I love your oscar pair, and if they breed you will definitely recover the money you spent on them. I followed some of your projects on another site, and I really like what you do. I have not been in the hobby very long (3 years), and most of what I have is just a hap hazard collection of fish I picked up along the way. Going forward I plan on being more selective about what I keep, with an eye on breeding something cool. GBR, shellies, Calvus are some of the fish on my radar, since they do not require massive tanks, only great care.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds