Jumping back into fishkeeping

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom created the topic: Jumping back into fishkeeping

And landing in deeper water than i thought...

Hey everybody:) Been awhile, I hope everyone is well. About 9 months ago I kind of disappeared from the forums. Was running into a frustrating chain of bad luck after the young juvenile jaguar I was raising didn't work out and I rehomed her. Yep, ended up laying a bunch of eggs. Not that being a female jag is bad but she just wasn't a very personable fish. Then I ordered a wild oscar from cichlaholics.com and learnt the hard way over the next few months that keeping a wild fish is a lot different than keeping a domestic one. Ok lesson learnt. Next I ordered 5 baby red devils from my lfs with the goal of keeping the dominant male. They charged me 25 dollars a fish for some malnourished and emeciated specimens and left them in a single shipping bag for 10 hours straight where they beat the snot out of each other and had some pretty severe looking ammonia burn when I arrived after work to pick them up. Payed for the fish but told them they could keep them. I got pretty frustrated and stepped back from fishkeeping for a while. I intended to get back in at some point and kept my tank cycled.

Last 3 months I've been keeping close eye on cichlaholics.com seeing if an opportunity to purchase a confirmed male central american cichlid would pop and viola about a week and a half ago I see he has a confirmed 8 inch jaguar male on his fish lists and also stated as being in very nice condition. So I ordered him. He was listed as 8 inches lol. Here he is; I've had this big boy for 3 days so far.

Ok so obviously this Jag is NOT 8 inches lol. Opened up the box and I see this beast staring at me lol. Quickly measured him before putting him in a bucket so I could acclimate him and he's a hair over 11 inches. I'm wondering if Spencer goes by SL and not TL. Even SL he's longer than 8. Regardless, he's a keeper and a beauty. Extremely friendly and personable and eats every single thing I've tried with him. Don't see any traces of HITH either which hopefully means he has been cared for well with the previous owner. Very bold and scared of nothing. Begs like an oscar too. Pretty happy with what I got :)

The size was a shock though. Thought I'd have a while before upgrading from a 90. Doing daily 50% wc's for as long as he'll be in this tank and have basically cleared all of the ornaments out except for a few plastic plants and a large pvc pipe so he has unobstructed swimming room (the pvc pipe is ugly as hell, not shown in vid).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Jumping back into fishkeeping

Hey!! Welcome back. Jag looks very good, a little fray on the dorsal, but otherwise a fine looking lad. 8ins? Really? My big guy is sitting about 14, and don't look a whole lot bigger. Congrats!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

OK didn't catch the blurb under the vid. Yeah, 11 seems more reasonable. I been trying to get Spence to find me a Trimac.. no dice as yet.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Phantom replied the topic: Jumping back into fishkeeping

Suprd71 did you mean the caudal fin? I thought it was a fray too at first but I think that's just the way his fin grew.

No, I see the fray at the end of the dorsal. Should grow out fairly quick. Re tank size.. if you are able, upgrade asap. My guy went from a 90, to a 6ft125. At a foot long it looked just a bit confining. Not inadequate my any means, but I wanted more for him. He now has a 180 to himself, the extra 6in width over the 125 is a huge bonus. Not many fishkeepers will dedicate a 180 to a single cichlid, but a big male Jag is a special fish imo, and having big room has been a huge success for my Thor. Able to exceed 16ins, a 72x24x24 is in no way too big for such a fish.

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Yeah he already looks maxed out for a 90. I won't have trouble keeping nitrates down doing 50 % dailies, but I'm pretty sure this guy will continue to grow. I'm planning on buying a house this year and was putting off a bigger tank until then because of the hassle of hauling a large tank around but it looks like I'll be getting a 125 before then :) I don't trust a full 180g in my current residence though :unsure:

• Phantom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Hehe went back to my tank after typing and there are bits of plastic plant floating around everywhere, with needle holes in them. At least he destroyed the cheap plant. Damn he shredded it like lettuce lol.

I'm sure you will provide the best care possible. Nitrate control aside, I find with the big species, males in particular, that they get irritated with confining spaces. Erratic behavior, glass banging etc. I have had a female Dovii since mid summer, about 3ins when I got her. Spent a couple months in a 55. Got by fine, but very shy and skittish. Moved her to her own 125 and an almost instant transformation. Still only about 6ins, but waaay more relaxed and sociable with lotsa room.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Jumping back into fishkeeping

wow Nice Jag, and welcome back dude

Haku, I knew your were good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

Phantom wrote: Hehe went back to my tank after typing and there are bits of plastic plant floating around everywhere, with needle holes in them. At least he destroyed the cheap plant. Damn he shredded it like lettuce lol.

BIG LOL!! He just told you to get this junk outa my face, and GET ME A BIGGER HOUSE!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds