Regrowing Teeth...

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom created the topic: Regrowing Teeth...

So now that my Jag is feeling more comfortable he's also getting a lot more aggressive. When I first got him he had both his bottom fangs. Last week I'm pretty sure he lost one pushing around a piece of driftwood. After today's wc he knocked out the second one while absolutely smashing my water siphon. Wasn't expecting it since he hasn't done this yet. Scared the crap out of me lol. Fortunately he's friendly towards me, just hates things being in his way lol. Now he has 2 sharp upper teeth and no bottom fangs.

I know these must grow back eventually or every Jag keeper would eventually have fish with no teeth lol. How long does it take for them to grow back?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Regrowing Teeth...

I would imagine within a few days, after all if the fish or any other animal has Polyphyodont Teeth will need them to survive so I don't think it would take them too long to grow back. Let us know what happens, maybe we could put that somewhere on the website for future reference.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Regrowing Teeth...

Hard to tell if they are growing back in when he keeps knocking them out lol. Came home today and it looks he knocked one of his upper teeth out too. I think my orange rabbit snails are the culprit; he learnt a while ago that he can't penetrate those super thick shells but every so often he snatches them up and deposits them on the other end of the tank. Shells looked a bit scratched so I think he's testing them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Regrowing Teeth...

May be you could get your fish one of those gumshield that rugby players use? :-) Seriously, the fact that your fish is being kept in captivity will mean that even without teeth it will be perfectly okay. Obviously in the wild they may need their teeth, but they're getting a regular food supply and don't have to defend themselves like they would in the wild. However, it would be interesting to see how things go, so keep us posted, it's all good for future reference.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds