Electric blue acara

• mikestike
  • mikestike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

mikestike created the topic: Electric blue acara

Hi all. I want to get some electric blue acara for my 135 gal community tank. I was wondering if I should get just 1 or a few. And also how many. The other fish im looking at is a festivum cichlid. Again. Should a get one ore a school. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Electric blue acara

These fish are much like Oscars, they are semi-aggressive and therefore keeping them in groups could be troublesome. I had one a couple of years ago and it was great, it was perfectly happy on its own and the Oscars didn't really bother with it because it was much smaller.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Electric blue acara

I was hoping for that actually. I prefer keeping fish that do well alone. Thanks

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Electric blue acara

These are great little fish, make sure you give them their own little space in the aquarium. Because they are quite small, a lot of the time they may prefer to stay in one place, mine used to live under a piece of wood and would get very upset if any other fish tried to move in.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I have a med black ghost knife fish and because of it i made up plenty of hiding places. Should be ok.

• Thank you received: 4

bskelton0907 replied the topic: Re:Electric blue acara

My electeic acara is very personable. Shes one of my glass bangers. Always begging for food and swimming the tank. She is very docile. Even to the point where I can grab her with my bare hands if I wanted move her. She dont mind nets. Very laid back fish. I will say when shes wanted to breed everybody better watch out because she will let them know whats up. Like stated keeping in groups can be troublesome. Your best bet is to get 6 and try for a pair. You will get the experience of watching them breed and act naturally and there colors will be tens times better.

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

mikestike replied the topic: Re:Re:Electric blue acara

bskelton0907 wrote: My electeic acara is very personable. Shes one of my glass bangers. Always begging for food and swimming the tank. She is very docile. Even to the point where I can grab her with my bare hands if I wanted move her. She dont mind nets. Very laid back fish. I will say when shes wanted to breed everybody better watch out because she will let them know whats up. Like stated keeping in groups can be troublesome. Your best bet is to get 6 and try for a pair. You will get the experience of watching them breed and act naturally and there colors will be tens times better.

Hey. This is why I love nw cichlids. The are so entertaining. May i ask how big your tank is and what els you have in there. I am a bit worried about my bio load at the moment. In my 135 i have a oscar. 1 severum. Bgkh. Pleco. Firemouth cichlid and 4 clown loaches

• mikestike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Oh. And a snook. Cand forget the snook

bskelton0907 replied the topic: Re:Re:Re:Electric blue acara

mikestike wrote:

bskelton0907 wrote: My electeic acara is very personable. Shes one of my glass bangers. Always begging for food and swimming the tank. She is very docile. Even to the point where I can grab her with my bare hands if I wanted move her. She dont mind nets. Very laid back fish. I will say when shes wanted to breed everybody better watch out because she will let them know whats up. Like stated keeping in groups can be troublesome. Your best bet is to get 6 and try for a pair. You will get the experience of watching them breed and act naturally and there colors will be tens times better.

Hey. This is why I love nw cichlids. The are so entertaining. May i ask how big your tank is and what els you have in there. I am a bit worried about my bio load at the moment. In my 135 i have a oscar. 1 severum. Bgkh. Pleco. Firemouth cichlid and 4 clown loaches

Right now I had to put her in the 40 gallon grow out. Shes in with a heros notatus, young firemouth, young chocolate cichlid, and a young guianacara stergoisi.I give that tank a water change every other day.. I may pair her up soon in one of my 40 breeders. Her breeding tube is always dropped meaning shes ready!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikestike

bskelton0907 replied the topic: Re:Electric blue acara

And as for your 135 you are going to be way overstocked after everybody is fulll grown imo. I have a 135 also with an oscar, firemouth, gold severum and a school of dollars and that just leaves me with enough room for whenever everybody is full grown the tank wont be overstocked

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds