Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

Has your fish tank water turned cloudy recently? We get many people visiting our website with this exact question. In many cases cloudy aquarium water isn't a huge cause for concern, however you must ignore it as it could be a sign of water quality problems. Please visit our dedicated article on " cloudy aquarium water ". If you still have questions please feel free to use this category and we will do our best to help you.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

Cloudy water will occur also as a result of too much organic waste or uneaten food, causing the heterotrophic bacteria population to explode. This bacteria is different from the nitrifying bacteria that we grow in our filters. It primarily consumes organic waste and very little ammonia. It also grows at an explosive rate compared to the nitrifying bacteria that we want in the filters and will compete for dissolved oxygen. This is why you see the cloudy water with a fish in cycle. Eventually the population dies down due to the amount of organic waste being reduced.

Even the folks who do a fishless cycle can experience this problem. They fully stock the aquarium (rather than slowly build up the amount of fish), and the organic waste builds up rapidly. Because the fishless cycle only promotes the growth of nitrifying (autotrophic) bacteria, these aquariums will experience a rapid growth of heterotrophic bacteria to consume the build up of organic waste.

To solve this problem, make sure that you remove the uneaten food and waste in the substrate (gravel bed). If you see your fish gasping for air, increase the surface agitation of the water by lowering the water level or adding an air stone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoshieGeorge

• Thank you received: 0

Alefel replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

My tank turned cloudy now it's turned green done a water change and checked everything but I can't seem to work out what the problem is

Reduce the lighting to the aquarium. Green algae is feed by sunlight and light above the aquarium. Cloudy water is a sign that there is too much waste in the tank.

claudia1066 replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

My water's turning cloudy, we have no lights in the aquarium and feed sparingly and undertake daily or every other day 50% water changes, but with >40ppm nitrate in our tap water I think I know where the problem's coming from. :(

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

Wow that's high. Do you live in a agricultural area?

claudia1066 replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

AZ Steve wrote: Wow that's high. Do you live in a agricultural area?

Yes, but I still don't understand how stuff leaches into our tap water supply. Yuk!

kellyrogers_77 replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

I do water changes and my water is still cloudy I have two tanks one is clear and one is cloudy both get new carbons monthly sometimes every other month I condition the water with stress coat please help

changing out the carbon effectively reduces the amount of heterotrophic bacteria in your tank. It sounds like one tank has more waste than the other tank.

kellyrogers_77 replied the topic: Your Aquarium Water Has Turned Cloudy

besides the water changes because I know you have to do them what else am I doing wrong to the tank that's staying cloudy

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds