light Brown looking water?!?!

• LePurge
  • LePurge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LePurge created the topic: light Brown looking water?!?!

hey I have a fish tank which the water in it keeps looking cloudy and a light brown and dark inside I recently did a 90% water change and it went clear now after 2 days has gone back to being dark when I put the light on it appears to be fine, in the tank I have a royal plec albino plec and some plastic plants 2 pieces of wood I bought from the aquarium shop and brown gravel, filter and heater however if you take a glass of water out it appears to be crystal clear so I don't understand this at all does anyone else know how I can sort this problem out as in those 2 days when the water was clear I had it tested and was told it was fine for fish so I had 2 baby Oscars so I don't want to do a mass water change again because it may upset them, what can I do? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: light Brown looking water?!?!

What size is tank what types of filters exactly how many inhabitants total how long have the filters been cycled how often do you do water changes how often do you feed how much gravel/sand what are your PH/ammonia/nitrite readings?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• LePurge
  • LePurge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

LePurge replied the topic: light Brown looking water?!?!

unaware of size (gallons) but I know its 3.5ft long 2ft wide and 2ft high and when the tank was sold to me I was given a filter which he said was enough for the tank (not a new tank) it had in it before a plec and an Oscar but the Oscar died of high nitrate so because I heard a plec is a hardy fish I did an 90% water change but in those 2 days of the water being clear I had another plec and 2 Oscars (yesterday) but today ive woken up and has seemed to go back to its state im wondering if its the location of the tank as its almost infront of the window? because if I close the curtains to make my room pitch black and then turn the light on it seems to be clear as crystal as also if you take a glass of water out its clear aswel, and going up tomorrow to get water tested at aquarium shop

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: light Brown looking water?!?!

Please submit a video of the tank so we can see what's going on. Also, a 3ft tank is insufficient for Oscars of any size, & unfortunately I would advise you re-home them or take them back to the point of purchase; you simply do not have even bare minimum accommodations for one Oscar, let alone 2, plus plecos. In addition, it seems that you do not have a firm grasp of cichlid husbandry, filtration or how the nitrogen cycle works (you cannot simply purchase fish like Oscars/plecos & place them in a new aquarium w/ uncycled filters). I would more than strongly recommend that you do some research on the hobby & familiarize yourself with all the techniques & terminology so that you will be successful.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:light Brown looking water?!?!

Have to agree with Darth basic research is required in any form of fish keeping. When it comes to cichlids and particularly large cichlids like Oscars lots more care is required.bigger tank bigger filtration bigger dedication. I think rehoming at this stage would be the answer. Lots of good articles on homepage.have a read any further questions should be answered there. We want you to succeed but we also want you to keep healthy fish.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:light Brown looking water?!?!

Welcome to the forum. Some good advice so far. Technically you have enough gallons for one oscar at 105 gallons, if your measurements are accurate, but Oscars like lots of swimming room, so 4 feet is always the recommended minimum length. Yours is 42 inches long and two oscars won't do well at all in this tank because they can't establish enough territory and one will eventually kill the other if they don't turn out to be a breeding pair, and even then, with only 42 inches its a big gamble..

Your driftwood is likely causing the water to go brown due to Tannins but it is not harmful, and actually beneficial for oscars. It will continue to leak into the tank until it stops, no telling exactly how long.

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds