Cloudy/Smelly tank

• Bigfish07
  • Bigfish07's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Bigfish07 created the topic: Cloudy/Smelly tank

Hi all -- We have an 8-inch, 1.5-year old tiger oscar who is doing quite well, although we are still learning the ins and outs of raising an oscar and tank maintenance. An ongoing problem we have had is with both cloudy water and tank smell. He is currently in a 36-gallon tank and the water was changed about 50% just a few days ago. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when the tank clouds or smells or when it goes away, but it would be great to prevent both of these issues in the first place. Any tips or ideas on what the underlying issue might be? For what it's worth, there are no dead fish or excessive food buildup in the tank. Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Cloudy/Smelly tank

Welcome to our community.

8 inches is quite small for an Oscar that is 1 1/2 years old. Also, I am sorry to say that 36 gallons are considerably under the recommendations for even one adult Oscar. So really, you're going to have to address tank size ASAP. What sort of filtration have you got on this aquarium? If you are just using a small filter, maybe the one that came with the tank then this could be your problem. Oscars produce a lot of waste. I would imagine that your Oscar eats quite a lot? Well, what goes has got to come out again. The waste that comes out produces ammonia which is very dangerous to fish. In a healthy biological filter, all the bacteria would consume the ammonia and therefore keep the water nice and clear, more importantly, free of toxins. It sounds as if you have a build up of three swimming bacteria in the actual aquarium which is causing to go cloudy. Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? If not, please do so ASAP.

As for the smell, difficult to say. When a biological filter dies and all the bacteria perish you will often get a horrible smell coming from the aquarium. I think before we go anywhere we need to get the water readings so we can see what's going on. If you haven't got one already I would suggest you get a liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. It's very important that you alter test the pH because different levels can determine how toxic the ammonia is if it's present.

Just one other question, are you leaving your filters switched off for any period of time?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Cloudy/Smelly tank

if i can ask 1 more question how do you clean you're tank and filter

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds