Marine aquariums: To keep or not to keep?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis created the topic: Marine aquariums: To keep or not to keep?

Marine aquariums, while beautiful, come @ a cost. Coral reefs are disappearing @ alarming rates, & while some of this is due to climate change, it is also due in large part to fisherman using cyanide to stun reef fish, which in turn kills the corals. Some estimates state that almost all coral reefs will be gone by the end of the century. My question is: Should the importation of wild-caught salt water aquarium fish be outlawed?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

I am very much against taking fish from the wild just for the entertainment of us fish keepers. I can't imagine is easy to replicate the exact water conditions that this was living in when it was in the wild, therefore I would imagine that mortality rate is very high in wild caught fish.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

i love the color of salt water fish and aquariums --- but if it's killing off the coral's i'm against it

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

marine aquarium is not the culprit of vanishing wild life in the sea...
it is the greediness of people and great disregard of nature...

we have great corals along our shorelines but i was totally destroyed by cyanide
and dynamite fishing.... right now our corals are dead and will take another 50 years
before it can regenerate.... marine aquarium had nothing to do with that devastation...

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Marine aquariums, while beautiful, come @ a cost. Coral reefs are disappearing @ alarming rates, & while some of this is due to climate change, it is also due in large part to fisherman using cyanide to stun reef fish, which in turn kills the corals. Some estimates state that almost all coral reefs will be gone by the end of the century. My question is: Should the importation of wild-caught salt water aquarium fish be outlawed?

This is an issue that I was unfamiliar with, and I will be subscribing to this thread, especially since a large basement reef tank was a goal I had aspired to.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

I knew the climate change was destroying them, but I didn't know about fisherman using cyanide.. But I think people need to be looking at the big picture of what losing the coral reefs is going to do. If all coral reefs become extinct most sea life will have no food source and eventually mass majority of sea life will die, also, without coral there would be a huge rise of carbon dioxide in the water which would affect EVERYTHING on earth. Economically and socially would be a disaster without them. I'm not sure if others are aware but we also get a lot of medicine from coral reefs, and I know that a lot of cancer drug research is being used on marine life, they just provide much more of a benefit than people realize.. therefore I'm against it, it is really pretty, I could ook at a marine aquarium all day, but in the long run it isn't worth it.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

DRACO wrote: marine aquarium is not the culprit of vanishing wild life in the sea...
it is the greediness of people and great disregard of nature...

we have great corals along our shorelines but i was totally destroyed by cyanide
and dynamite fishing.... right now our corals are dead and will take another 50 years
before it can regenerate.... marine aquarium had nothing to do with that devastation...

I strongly disagree....if there wasn't a demand for fish for aquariums, there wouldn't be people dynamiting & cyanide poisoning the reefs. It has everything to do w/ the aquarium trade.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 0

mwhite638 replied the topic: Marine aquariums: To keeep or not to keep?

I'm currently returning from a vacation to hawaii, waiting at the airport with a nice long layover and was thinking about this topic all week so it's pretty cool I found this thread. I snorkeled a few beaches and they were nothing short of amazing. Loaded with tangs and puffers,along with several other fish I couldn't identify. Some of the tangs I saw were huge , way bigger than any in an aquarium I've seen. Up until my trip I had no idea the majority of saltwater fish in the aquarium trade were wild caught , until the snorkel shop I rented from handed out brochures about the impacts of collecting fish and corals. Apparently 80% of the fish caught by collectors are herbivores which leads to pretty big imbalances in the reef. I could list all the info I read , but that would be way too much to type. So I would say until a system of sustainability can be created and proven , then any collecting should be stopped. If anyone's interested in reading the stuff about the hawaii aquarium trade , google snorkel bobs and tons of stuff should come up.

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds