Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

$40 an hour for an LPN?!?!

That would be crazy money where I live. Most LPNs here in east TN make $18 an hour or less. An RN (much more training than an LPN) fresh out of nursing school can expect to start out at probably $22ish per hour working in a hospital. An experienced RN working in a specialized area such as an Intensive Care Unit can expect to approach $40 an hour.

Just goes to show the difference between salaries in a big city VS a rural area.

A fast food or a Wal-Mart worker in my area can expect to start out at minimum wage. Period.

Of course, you can buy a nice, 3 bedroom, brand new 3000 sq ft home in my area for probably $160 k. You can get a decent 3 bedroom in an older neighborhood that might need a little fixing up for probably $120k.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

I mixed up LPN & RN.....sorry.

But....most LPN's in Philly area make $26/hr or around $53,000 per year.

RN's make around $48 an hour, or 98,000 (top end, low end around 74,000).

Our RN's make $40 an hour, LPN make $25, I just asked (starting rate).....still considerably more than UK.

Those stats are Philly area. I still gotta state UK nurses are GROSSLY underpaid, as are rural areas even in PA. I see what these people have to put up with, there's NO amount of money that I would do what they do. They definitely earn their pay. B)

Just FYI...I pulled the following from this website:

www.policymic.com/articles/89773/here-s-what-happened-to-mcdonald-s-employees-protesting-for-a-higher-wage

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average fast food employee in America makes about $9.08 an hour, or $18,880 a year.

Again, what are you supposed to make WHEN YOU THINK THIS IS A CAREER? WHOSE FAULT IS IT YOU PAID ZERO ATTENTION IN SCHOOL????

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Goranothos replied the topic: Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

$15 an hour burger flippers = $12 Big Macs = family of three spending $45 at the McDonalds drive through. Uh, no thanks. I'll go to a better restaurant for that.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

Yup it's too much. The more minimum wage goes up the less value our dollar has. It's the kids now a days that seem to have a sense of entitlement and want career money for nothing. They seem to think that whether they do anything or not they should be provided for, work 2080 hours a year @ $9.08 an hour and get $18880 a year or work one hour a year and still be given $18880 a year to live. Not all kids of course but the general feeling I get from this generation is that they won't be allowed to go hungry, somebody will provide for them, so they start to feel that being provided for is a their god given right. And not just food but their right to have a car and cloths ect..

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

Big-Ken wrote:

I would actually trust this more. I don't eat fast food much. Only once a year maybe but the order is usually screwed up. Mcdonalds needs a third window to return all wrong shit from the second window. Lol.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

goddamn, they almost earn as much as me, and i've got a senior support engineer title... (the title reveals nothing but i do 2nd line IT support)
i'm guessing people at mcdonalds in the US earn more then a 1st line support here in Belgium.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

Here in Ontario, effective June1, min wage jumps to $11/hr. Thats not a lot of dough here. Housing, food, utilities, taxes all very high here. BUT.. its still called minimum wage for a reason, that being you earn it for minimal work. I recently explained to my stepson, who is 15 that while his mother and I have a pretty good combined income, there isnt a great pile left after all bills are paid. I pointed out that at 11 bucks an hour, even at full time, he would not be living as he is now, and his bottomless pit of a stomach would require a serious alteration. To the original topic.. 15/hr for flippin burgs and handing coffee out a window? Big fat no! Stay in school, learn a trade, earn what you need, handouts are cut off!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Goranothos replied the topic: Re:Fast food workers pushing for a $15 per hour pay strike for 1 day

gorgoroth wrote: goddamn, they almost earn as much as me, and i've got a senior support engineer title... (the title reveals nothing but i do 2nd line IT support)
i'm guessing people at mcdonalds in the US earn more then a 1st line support here in Belgium.

Gorgoroth, the truth is that most fast food workers in the USA start at minimum wage, which is currently around $7.25 an hour, though that varies by state.

Some of them want to protest that they don't earn a wage that will support raising a family. They are correct. Most people that actually work for a living in the USA understand that minimum wage is just a starter wage for low skilled workers. Most fast food workers are young people in high school and college, and fast food is probably their first job. They are learning valuable skills that will help them at any job they move to later. Skills such as getting to work on time, working hard at your job no matter how menial it seems, getting along with coworkers, being a team player, etc.

Here's an anecdote: Last week I was doing my usual two mile walk outside and I heard someone call my name. Turns out it was a fellow that I went to school with from kindergarten through high school. I graduated HS in 1984 and don't think I had seen this guy since then (can't believe he recognized me). Anyway, back in high school, he worked at our local Long John Silvers. I knew that at some point he had moved up to assistant manager, then I completely lost track. Well it turns out that he stayed with LJS and is now a regional manager, over many stores. He showed me his house and how much property he owns, and I have to come to the conclusion that he is doing well.......*very* well. Don't know if he ever went to college or university. So, you can move up the ladder and earn a good living even in fast food, if you work hard enough.

Moderators: Big-Ken
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds