Oscar growth rate

  • turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 762
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Oscar growth rate

Lammergeier wrote: Not really. Big, cichlids will have a higher bioload than small cichlids, which will (generally) have a higher bioload than community fish. One exception is with plecos - from what I've heard they are waste producing machines.

That's where the API freshwater test kit comes in handy. You test nitrates every day or two until they reach 10ppm or so, then do a water change, then test again every day or two until they hit 10 again to get an idea of what w/c schedule you need.

This calculator might be handy to help figure out a good w/c schedule: www.theaquatools.com/water-changes-calculator you just need to know how much nitrate is added to the tank per day.

For what it's worth, one very large water change is more effective than two medium water changes per week, even if the two medium water changes take out more water overall. Eg: I do one 90% w/c per week for my RDs, and 3 60 - 70% w/cs per week for my oscar tank. Even though I'm replacing more water by % with the 3 w/cs per week, I am not reducing the nitrates by any more than one 90% w/c per week.

That is unusual because in other aspects like feeding, it is better if it is frequent, but few pieces rather than a rare large feed.
#400273

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 3036
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Oscar growth rate

Thats true turtle lover but the infrequent feedings are better for juvies adults shoud/can be fed once a day to every other day.
Think of it like this 1 large water change will have say 5 or 6 days of waste build up. If doing smaller wc with say 2 days of waste build would up, your actually removing clean water along with "dirty water" (just added from doing a wc two days prior) this is just an example though not sure how your wc schedule looks
#400274

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1053
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar growth rate

That's right. But you don't even have to wait a few days for the fresh water to begin to turn nasty, because it mixes with the old water immediately. If you have a 100 gallon tank and change 50% of the water and then change 50% percent of the water again, you've changed 100 gallons of water. But you've only replaced 75% of the original, dirty water leaving 25%. Change 50% again or another 50 gallons and you now have 12.5% of the original, dirty water still in the tank. Do that again and you'll have put 200 gallons of fresh water into your 100 gallon tank, and you'll still have around 7% of the original dirty water left in the tank. You could have simply changed 90% to begin with and saved 110 gallons and you'd have about the same amount of old dirty water in your tank.

You would have to perform (4) 50% water changes back to back before removing more of the old water than with a single 90% water change.
#400306
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 762
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Re:Oscar growth rate

daddadoo7 wrote: Thats true turtle lover but the infrequent feedings are better for juvies adults shoud/can be fed once a day to every other day.
Think of it like this 1 large water change will have say 5 or 6 days of waste build up. If doing smaller wc with say 2 days of waste build would up, your actually removing clean water along with "dirty water" (just added from doing a wc two days prior) this is just an example though not sure how your wc schedule looks

I actually now clean once every three days though I am afraid that my parents will get mad for water waste. :P
#400433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1053
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar growth rate

I don't think water changes on one tank will have a noticable impact on your water bill. It didn't in my case at least. First, my water coupany bills by 1000's of gallons used. I'm not sure yours is like that but even if they bill in 100s of gallons you're still using a relatively small amount of water compared to showers and washing clothes and dishes.

Still, If you want to use less water, perform one large water change per week instead of three smaller ones.
#400446

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds