New Tank!!!

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

Thanks guys. I took the convict back and got another Oscar and 3 small neon tetras. The entire mood of the tank changed. The Oscars are best friends now lol. The want to get the tetras but they r too fast haha. Will look into a new tank and filter as soon as I can. We r also gonna try to add dwarf hairgrass and javamoss. Hoping the Oscars don't disagree.
#410715

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: New Tank!!!

andersons8734 wrote: Thanks guys. I took the convict back and got another Oscar and 3 small neon tetras. The entire mood of the tank changed. The Oscars are best friends now lol. The want to get the tetras but they r too fast haha. Will look into a new tank and filter as soon as I can. We r also gonna try to add dwarf hairgrass and javamoss. Hoping the Oscars don't disagree.


It's good that you returned the convict. Can i ask how big your new tank will be? The reason i ask is that the recommended tank size for 2 full grown Oscars is one that holds more than a hundred gallons. Your looking at a 125 gallon or bigger. The bigger the tank the better. Plan on getting a tank that holds the adult size of your fish, rather than looking to upgrade further down the track. If you are already doing this, then please ignore my rant :) . As others have mentioned, Oscars are big, bulky, heavy fish that are very messy and produce a lot of waste. On another note, i'm not sure how long those tetra's will last :)
#410722

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

Well I'm not really worried about the tetras I didn't think they would last this long honestly. I have a 29 gal tank for the moment. My Oscars are only about 2 inches long right now. My husband deals with the money lol. But we will upgrade tanks either in the next six months or by christmas. I know its not ideal but we got the tank and then discovered Oscars. We r going to do some aquascaping too just waiting for everything to come in. When we get a bigger tank well prob upgrade the filter too. I LOVE these fish. They r so funny to watch. We r going to do a graveyard theme and my husband swears it'll look awesome haha. I sure hope so.
#410725

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

Well I'm not really worried about the tetras I didn't think they would last this long honestly. I have a 29 gal tank for the moment. My Oscars are only about 2 inches long right now so they have some room for now. But we will upgrade tanks either in the next six months or by christmas. I know its not ideal but we got the tank and then discovered Oscars. We r going to do some aquascaping too just waiting for everything to come in. When we get a bigger tank well prob upgrade the filter too. I LOVE these fish. They r so funny to watch. We r going to do a graveyard theme and my husband swears it'll look awesome haha. I sure hope so.
#410726

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: New Tank!!!

andersons8734 wrote: Well I'm not really worried about the tetras I didn't think they would last this long honestly. I have a 29 gal tank for the moment. My Oscars are only about 2 inches long right now so they have some room for now. But we will upgrade tanks either in the next six months or by christmas. I know its not ideal but we got the tank and then discovered Oscars. We r going to do some aquascaping too just waiting for everything to come in. When we get a bigger tank well prob upgrade the filter too. I LOVE these fish. They r so funny to watch. We r going to do a graveyard theme and my husband swears it'll look awesome haha. I sure hope so.


Can't say I've seen a graveyard theme before. Please post pics when it's up and running. With the bigger tank, the sooner the better. Oscars do grow very quick and can easily reach 5 to 7 inches within six months. You don't want to risk stunting their growth. You are absolutely right in that they are funny. They are definitely packed with personality.
#410756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

Geat news! Turns out my uncle had a 75 gal tank and stand plus a wet dry filter. Few other stuff too. So I'm buying it for$200. Bad part is it was used for saltwater so I have to Clean everything!! Totally worth it. Yes I'll post pics but how do I do that? Copy n paste?? Lol
#410759

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 5943
  • Karma: 4
  • Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

andersons8734 wrote: Geat news! Turns out my uncle had a 75 gal tank and stand plus a wet dry filter. Few other stuff too. So I'm buying it for$200. Bad part is it was used for saltwater so I have to Clean everything!! Totally worth it. Yes I'll post pics but how do I do that? Copy n paste?? Lol

Salt water tank can be cleaned to new condition using white vinegar. You may need a scraper of sorts for real tough spots. Acetone will work as well, but very careful to not get any on the tank seals. Pics are most easy to post using Photobucket. Its a free app, just copy the img code and paste into the forum thread box. When you get to this point, I would ask you to open your own thread, as this one is from another member.


I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
#410760

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 22
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: New Tank!!!

OK will get photo bucket n post pics when I get tank all set!
#410762

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • S.S.
  • S.S.'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Posts: 563
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Re:New Tank!!!

Wols wrote:

S.S. wrote: Can you make a video showing the inflow and outflow as well as the way the water flows between stages?

"TapatalKing"


Sure thing! It is definitely cheaper than a good canister filter. It cost me about $550 with the pump, but you can build it for much less with different brands and other types of media. The pump and marine pure were $400.00 on their own. First chamber has 5 matala mats. Not sure if you can see that the first mat sits above the water level. Water trickles through constantly so im hoping it acts as a small type of wet dry. The other 4 are below water level and form my mechanical filtration. They can also act as a form of biological filtration.Underneath i have 6 liters of marine pure. This is my main biological part. Water then moves to second chamber where i have 2 liters of biological media, sitting on top of some black sponge. The sponge goes all the way to the bottom. This is also biological as well as catching anything that may have gotten through the first chamber. Return pump sits in the third chamber. I have used leftover matting to sit the pump on, as well as putting some behind it. This makes it much quieter and im also hoping that more bacteria can grow on them. The pump is just above the lowest setting, so at the moment is turning over between 2500 and 3000 liters per hour. Maximum setting is 5000 liters. The wall of the filter compartment is built slightly lower than the top of the tank. If the pump stops or something happens the water will stay inside the tank as you can only fill it to a certain level, meaning no flooding. Sorry about the quality of the video as i only have a mobile phone to shoot with and upload.

vid1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/SlothWols/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.15B93B30-FACA-4315-A3E7-7700A27E147E_zpswqryeasy.mp4


Hello. And how is it working this tank after this time? Is the filter size and chambers disposition enough? I'm considering something similar but with a bigger tank and so the filter maybe it will be built on both sides.

"Tapatalking"
#413007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols replied the topic: Re:RE: Re:New Tank!!!

S.S. wrote:

Wols wrote:

S.S. wrote: Can you make a video showing the inflow and outflow as well as the way the water flows between stages?

"TapatalKing"


Sure thing! It is definitely cheaper than a good canister filter. It cost me about $550 with the pump, but you can build it for much less with different brands and other types of media. The pump and marine pure were $400.00 on their own. First chamber has 5 matala mats. Not sure if you can see that the first mat sits above the water level. Water trickles through constantly so im hoping it acts as a small type of wet dry. The other 4 are below water level and form my mechanical filtration. They can also act as a form of biological filtration.Underneath i have 6 liters of marine pure. This is my main biological part. Water then moves to second chamber where i have 2 liters of biological media, sitting on top of some black sponge. The sponge goes all the way to the bottom. This is also biological as well as catching anything that may have gotten through the first chamber. Return pump sits in the third chamber. I have used leftover matting to sit the pump on, as well as putting some behind it. This makes it much quieter and im also hoping that more bacteria can grow on them. The pump is just above the lowest setting, so at the moment is turning over between 2500 and 3000 liters per hour. Maximum setting is 5000 liters. The wall of the filter compartment is built slightly lower than the top of the tank. If the pump stops or something happens the water will stay inside the tank as you can only fill it to a certain level, meaning no flooding. Sorry about the quality of the video as i only have a mobile phone to shoot with and upload.

vid1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/SlothWols/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.15B93B30-FACA-4315-A3E7-7700A27E147E_zpswqryeasy.mp4


Hello. And how is it working this tank after this time? Is the filter size and chambers disposition enough? I'm considering something similar but with a bigger tank and so the filter maybe it will be built on both sides.

"Tapatalking"



Hello. Apologies for the late reply. The setup is running great and has no issues handling everything. I am very happy with it for both ease of use and cleaning. Very easy to work on and maintain. If i was doing a bigger tank then i would definitely have one either side. Much better for water flow that way and the amount of media you can put into them will be huge.
#413183

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.579 seconds