new video of my tank

  • Posts: 1053
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: new video of my tank

Nice looking oscar with great colors. I like the SDs at that size. I wish they would stay that size.
#397844

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 1926
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: new video of my tank

UNC-CH wrote: Nice looking oscar with great colors. I like the SDs at that size. I wish they would stay that size.


You mean they get bigger?

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
#397879

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 1926
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Re:new video of my tank

robham7770 wrote: Fred looks like he is really starting to beef up. Sorry about Wilma, do you think she may have jumped. I had 5 hatchets, then 4, 3, 2... and finally 0. I never found a single one and had nothing that could have eaten them at the time, except for my Dachshunds.


She may have.

Hatchets are notorious jumpers, aren't they?

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
#397880

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Posts: 6163
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re:new video of my tank

Goranothos wrote:

robham7770 wrote: Fred looks like he is really starting to beef up. Sorry about Wilma, do you think she may have jumped. I had 5 hatchets, then 4, 3, 2... and finally 0. I never found a single one and had nothing that could have eaten them at the time, except for my Dachshunds.


She may have.

Hatchets are notorious jumpers, aren't they?


Yep....that's why they have that keel on the bottom, & long pectoral fins....kind like a mini flying fish. Predator flight response.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
#397881

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1053
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: new video of my tank

Goranothos wrote:

UNC-CH wrote: Nice looking oscar with great colors. I like the SDs at that size. I wish they would stay that size.


You mean they get bigger?


I thought they got bigger. I've never had any SDs but I remember them bigger from other videos I seen. 6" full grown?
#397892

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1199
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: new video of my tank

Yeah they get bigger, and the bigger they get the more bold they seem to become. My largest one is 6" and the damn things won't stop growing. The biggest SD I've got is the same size as my severum now :pinch:
#397895

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1448
  • Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: new video of my tank

My biggest are approx 5" and still growing, as frank has mentioned they are a pain in the arse during feeding time but they work great as dithers in my Carpintis tank, when he goes on the rampage he will focus all his energy on them and leave Delilah alone. They are to big and to fast for him to catch.
#397900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1802
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: new video of my tank

Yeah the hatchets are notorious jumpers, which anyone here probably could have told me, but these were some of the first fish I ever had. I have a buddy that has a silver dollar that I swear is about 7.5" + you can see him in this short video. For reference the Oscar is probably 13"+.


#397941

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1171
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: new video of my tank

Has anyone every tried these Tetragonopterus argenteus with an oscar? They apparently don't grow larger than 5-6 inches. Jeff Rapps has some in stock at the moment. I am tempted, though they are a bit expensive. Might be a good alternative to SDs, which can grow quite a bit larger as everyone knows.

#397948

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Posts: 1926
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: new video of my tank

robham7770 wrote: Yeah the hatchets are notorious jumpers, which anyone here probably could have told me, but these were some of the first fish I ever had. I have a buddy that has a silver dollar that I swear is about 7.5" + you can see him in this short video. For reference the Oscar is probably 13"+.



Wow Rob. That is one big a** silver dollar.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
#397994

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds